BRITAIN’s Brexit top negotiator has today ruled out Michel Barnier’s demand of a two-year extension. The EU’s Chief negotiator this week told Boris Johnson Britain should stay subject to the EU rules for longer so they can thrash out a deal. The PM has repeatedly ruled out extending the transition period, which is set to run until the end of this year, but Brussels is still trying to extend the process. Now his chief negotiator David Frost has ruled the idea out completely. He said: “I don’t make policy, I only advise on it. It’s the firm policy of the Government that we will not extend it. “If asked we would not agree with it, I can see why that position would be taken.”We’ve always put a lot of emphasis on economic and political freedom at the end of this year, and avoiding ongoing significant payments into the EU budget.” The extension would mean Britain continues to follow EU rules and pay into the Brussels budget, even though it’s no longer a member. This will currently last until the end of the year, when the transition period ends. It comes after Mr Barnier wrote a letter to all MPs calling… Read full this story
- British PM May calls for more time to rework Brexit deal
- May warns MPs they face 'moment of decision' after EU agrees just a TWO WEEK Brexit delay until April 12 before Britain crashes out if her deal fails again... but that UK can stay in bloc until May 22 if she finally gets it through
- Hours to seal a Brexit deal: Boris Johnson's team in last-gasp talks before midnight deadline – but DUP says 'further work is required' after visiting Downing Street
- EU threatens to delay Brexit until January even if a deal IS struck: France and Germany warn Boris Johnson they would need two months to iron out details... as talks resume this morning after midnight deadline blows by
- Another YEAR of Brexit? Fury over claims May 'will keep UK tied to the EU for 12 MORE months' - after bloc's leaders dismiss her compromise plea and DITCH crunch summit
- Boris ‘the Hulk’ Johnson Set to Smash Rebel MPs in Court Over Brexit Delay Demands — Report
- Boris Johnson Could Still Emerge Victorious From Never-Ending Brexit Saga
- UK leadership challenge: How does it work?
Britain’s Brexit negotiator rules out Michel Barnier’s demand of TWO-YEAR extension have 394 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at May 27, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.