BORIS Johnson signalled tonight that crucial state aid for self-employed workers hit by the coronavirus crisis will be extended beyond this month. Grants worth up to £7,500 to cover the last three months come to an end on Sunday and Rishi Sunak has so far failed to say whether he will extend the crucial lifeline to self-employed workers. ⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates In contrast, he has promised wage support for furloughed workers for an extra five months – until the end of October. But the Prime Minister told the daily coronavirus press conference that “you’ll be hearing more about” support for self-employed workers soon. Mr Johnson also promised self-employed people who are forced into two weeks’ quarantine as part of the new Test and Trace programme will receive financial compensation from loss of income. He said: “Those who face temporarily losing their income as a result of this will be helped”.Last night 113 MPs from all parties including a string of senior Tories signed a letter to the Chancellor demanding he extends the self-employment scheme. They warned that hundreds of thousands of self-employed people will be without work and without support from… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson signals he will protect Northern Ireland Army veterans from unfair prosecution
- Boris Johnson promises £465 tax cut for 31million workers if he wins General Election
- Tory Keynesianism? Boris Johnson's Postponed Tax Cuts Signal Shift In Conservative Economic Agenda
- Liberal, nuanced, cautious: is this the real Boris Johnson?
- UK employment rate hits record HIGH in boost to Boris Johnson ahead of Brexit as the number of women in work and those becoming self-employed surges
- Boris Johnson vows to repay trust of voters in north-east England
- Boris Johnson employs personal photographer at taxpayers' expense
- Boris Johnson to be given the red-carpet treatment on US visit to ally Donald Trump next month to celebrate election win
- Boris Johnson urges ‘closure’ over Brexit & vows NHS will be top priority so Britain can ‘heal’ after historic poll win
- General election: 7 times Boris Johnson didn't tell the whole truth in BBC interviews
Boris Johnson signals cash help for self-employed could extend beyond May have 349 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at May 28, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.