The deadly African Swine Fever (ASF) has killed more than 14,000 pigs in Assam, the government announced today. The state government had decided against culling the pigs on Monday.“Till now, 14,465 pigs have died in 10 districts, due to African Swine Flu. The government is taking all possible steps to stop the spread of the disease. For prevention of the disease, we are advising farmers deep burial of dead pigs,” Assam’s animal husbandry minister Atul Bora told news agency ANI on Tuesday.On Monday, the state’s animal husbandry and veterinary department director Pulin Das had told news agency IANS that they have no plans to cull the pigs despite the central government’s advice.“We have told the central government in case of culling we will have to pay huge amounts to farmers and firm owners as compensation. Thus, for culling we need huge financial support from the central government,” IANS quoted Das as saying.The Kaziranga National Park authority has dug a two-km long and six-feet deep trench to protect wild boars from the ASF infection.According to the 2019 census, Assam had over 21 lakh pigs, which the authorities say could have increased to around 30 lakh now.After the outbreak in Assam, all… Read full this story
- Poland Confirms Second African Swine Fever Outbreak This Year – Report
- African swine fever outbreak reported in western Poland
- Ministry asks all pig-farming facilities to simultaneously reduce their prices
- Additional pig-ear dog treats recalled in 27-state salmonella outbreak
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES APRIL 13
- Chilling pictures show the giant liquid oxygen tanks being used at make-shift NHS Nightingale hospital in Yorkshire
- The coronavirus death lag explained: How it can take three weeks between catching the disease and being hospitalised (and three days for the NHS to record the fatality)
- Virus puts UK PM in intensive care; Japan declares emergency
- Nationwide hunt is launched for anyone who came into contact with Britain's first coronavirus victims: Two Chinese tourists are diagnosed after falling ill at a York hotel - so why is it STILL open?
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia on April 10
African Swine Fever infects over 14,000 pigs in Assam, alert in North-East have 340 words, post on m.hindustantimes.com at May 12, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.