Signs have been placed along the popular North Coast 500 route telling tourists to stay away to protect their communities from Covid-19.The Easter weekend is usually one of the busiest periods of the year but the roads are quiet as most visitors obey lockdown rules.Residents largely support measures to stop the spread of the virus but some are concerned businesses could fail.Tourism businesses have warned they may not survive without financial support.People across the UK are being urged to “stay at home” over the Easter holiday.Some villages in the Highlands were inundated with tourists and second home owners the weekend before the lockdown and have now erected their own signs warning visitors to stay away.The authorities have also closed car parks at many beauty spots to discourage people from stopping.Jim Johnston, from Bettyhill Community Council, said the Sutherland village was alarmed by the surge of visitors a few weeks ago.He told BBC Scotland: “It was surprisingly active right at the start of the lockdown here and that caused a degree of anxiety locally.”People felt that maybe these people were fleeing from fear of the virus further south and intended to come up here and avoid it, but that would endanger… Read full this story
- North Coast Communities Tell Bay Area Daytrippers to Stay Home
- Stay away this weekend! Angry rural dwellers warn visitors not to flood the countryside as temperatures head towards 70F on first weekend since Covid-19 lockdown rules were eased
- Angry Koregaon Bhima voters stay away from polling, turnout plunges
- Britain's tourist hotspots are hardest hit by Covid crisis with places like Isle of Wight, Cornwall and Lake District at risk of suffering 35% job losses... while day-trippers are still told to stay away
- Brits flock to beauty spots despite tourist bosses begging them to stay away
- Brits urged to stay away from beauty spots after Boris Johnson allows travel for unlimited exercise in new lockdown plan
- Coronavirus: Cornwall, Cumbria and the Cotswolds tell tourists to 'stay away' after lockdown is eased
- Piers Morgan’s son tells him to ‘stay away’ after GMB star admits to missing his kids
- German Fans Warned To Stay Away Ahead Of Bundesliga Restart
- Arsenal vs Man City: Emirates half-empty as supporters stay away… but were they using the bad weather as an excuse?
North Coast 500 signs tell tourists to stay away have 387 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at April 10, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.