Michael Phelps‘ eight-gold-medal performance headlines the first of two nights of Return to Beijing Olympic programming on NBCSN on Monday night.
Phelps’ iconic races air at 8:30 p.m. ET as part of eight hours of 2008 Olympic coverage on NBCSN’s Olympic Games Week.
They are preceded by the men’s beach volleyball final (7 p.m.) and followed by the women’s beach volleyball final (10 p.m.), men’s indoor volleyball final (11 p.m.).
LIVE STREAM: NBCSN Olympic Games Week — Monday, 7 p.m.-3 a.m. ET
Phelps began his Beijing Olympics by winning the 400m individual medley in a world record 4:03.84. It’s Phelps’ only individual world record that still stands and the longest-standings world record in any Olympic men’s or women’s event.
From there, Phelps broke world records in six of his next seven events. But there were close calls, starting with his next final. In the 4x100m freestyle relay, the U.S. trailed France by .59 of a second going into Jason Lezak‘s anchor leg against the 100m free world-record holder, Frenchman Alain Bernard.
Lezak trailed by .82 going into the last 50 meters. Then, with a magic surge, he caught and passed Bernard, touching .08 ahead with the fastest relay leg in history by a whopping .57.
Phelps had one more major challenge — the 100m butterfly. Serbian Milorad Cavic broke the Olympic record in the heats and was again faster than Phelps in the semifinals, where Phelps was coming off the 200m individual medley final.
In the final, Phelps was seventh at the turn. He still trailed Cavic going into the final stroke. Cavic took a long stroke, gliding into the wall. Phelps took an extra half-stroke, smashing the wall. He won by .01. The following morning, Phelps finished off the eight-for-eight effort in the medley relay, breaking Mark Spitz‘s record for golds at a single Games.
In NBCSN’s other Return to Beijing programs Monday, the U.S. swept the beach volleyball finals.
Phil Dalhausser and Todd Rogers became the third different U.S. men’s pair to take Olympic gold. Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings repeated as Olympic champions, extending their international win streak to 69 matches.
The U.S. men’s indoor volleyball team endured tragedy — the death of coach Hugh McCutcheon‘s father-in-law in a random attack in Beijing — en route to triumph. McCutcheon missed the first three matches. The U.S. won them all, plus five more, including a comeback final over Brazil.
OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!
NBCSN Olympic Games Week — Monday, April 20
|Time (ET)||Program||Events||Live Stream|
|7 p.m.||Return to Beijing||Men’s Beach Volleyball Final||STREAM LINK|
|8:30 p.m.||Return to Beijing||Michael Phelps||STREAM LINK|
|10 p.m.||Return to Beijing||Women’s Beach Volleyball Final||STREAM LINK|
|11 p.m.||Return to Beijing||Men’s Indoor Volleyball Final||STREAM LINK|
|1 a.m.||Return to Beijing||Michael Phelps||STREAM LINK|
|2:30 a.m.||Return to Beijing||Beijing Olympic Stories||STREAM LINK|
- Why is Michael Phelps, Under Armour's Olympic star, wearing Nike on SI's cover?
- ‘Angry Michael Phelps’ becomes the greatest Olympic meme
- Michael Phelps voted U.S. Olympic swimming team captain for first time
- Michael Phelps won the most Olympic medals ever, but he wasn't dominant enough for ESPN
- Michael Phelps makes history with fifth Olympic appearance
- The Beijing Olympics are one to remember
- This is why you *never* talk trash to Michael Phelps
- Michael Phelps, under an alias, finds new competitive outlet; Q&A
- Michael Phelps wins Olympic gold medals No. 20 and 21 in Rio
- Michael Phelps vs. a shark: The bizarre history of humans racing animals
- Michael Phelps stares down preening, obnoxious rival before 200 fly rematch
- Michael Phelps’ last Olympic swim deserves a Tom Brady high-five
- Michael Phelps retires: The greatest Olympian ever goes out on top
- The definitive Michael Phelps bio: All you need to know about the greatest Olympian ever
- Chronicling Michael Phelps’ history as king of the Olympic rings
- Farewell: Michael Phelps retires after 23rd gold and he’s not coming back
- Can Michael Phelps stay perfect and win a mind-blowing six gold medals in Rio?
- He’s back! Michael Phelps regains title in 200 fly, knocks out shadowboxing Chad Le Clos
- How many golds will Michael Phelps win in Rio?
- Domination! Michael Phelps wins 22nd Olympic gold medal in 200 IM rout
Michael Phelps’ eight gold medals at Beijing Olympics air on NBCSN on Monday have 750 words, post on olympics.nbcsports.com at April 20, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.