The governor of Nairobi, Kenya was blasted on social media after announcing his plans to include “small bottles of Hennessy” in food packs being distributed to the city’s poor families amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Governor Mike Sonko presented the plans during a Tuesday media briefing.
“From the research which has been conducted by World Health Organization (WHO) and various health organizations, it has been revealed that alcohol plays a very major role in killing the coronavirus or any sort of virus,” Sonko said in a clip, tweeted by Citizen TV Kenya.
Commenters were quick to blast the governor for his irresponsible statement.
“Is he serious?” one wrote. “I can’t believe it, I still have to replay that video for the 10th time, did he say Hennessy kills COVID-19 if you drink?”
Dr. Githinji Gitahi, the global CEO of Amref Health Africa, condemned Sonko in a tweet.
“Please completely ignore clowning of a major global pandemic taking lives & putting extreme pressure on households,” he wrote. “Dump this the way you would dump your used #COVID19 #mask — never to be recovered! @MOH_Kenya needs to condemn this as this is not an ordinary citizen!”
Please completely ignore clowning 🤡 of a major global pandemic taking lives & putting extreme pressure on households. Dump this the way you would dump your used #COVID19 #mask – never to be recovered! @MOH_Kenya needs to condemn this as this is not an ordinary citizen! pic.twitter.com/6Lsu0DXvzV
— Dr Githinji Gitahi, MBS (@daktari1) April 15, 2020
The World Health Organization has said that drinking alcohol does not protect against the coronavirus — and that frequent or excessive alcohol use can even increase the risk of health problems.
When it comes to hand hygiene, the CDC recommends alcohol-based sanitizers with greater than 60 percent ethanol or 70 percent isopropanol in healthcare settings.
But “The cognac Gov. Sonko has referenced only has 40% vol. alcohol,” BBC Africa reporter Wanjiru Muriuki tweeted. “So even if you were to use it as a hand sanitizer, it would not be effective.”
Sonko has previously been accused of drug trafficking and money laundering, which he denies, according to the BBC.
Prison authorities also claim that he escaped from a maximum facility 20 years ago.
- Piers Morgans blasts Love Island's new care package as he calls contestants 'dimwits'
- Nancy Pelosi says Mitch McConnell's third coronavirus response package bill Is a "non-starter," "not at all pro-worker"
- Second Republican breaks with Trump over Coronavirus relief delay, says "Now's not the time"
- Minnesota Legislature Votes To Pass $216M COVID Relief Package
- At Least 5 States Set Single-Day Coronavirus Case Records
- Piers Morgan slams Love Island's duty of care protocols in warning to 'dimwit' contestants
- Trump Foments Protests Against Governors; Experts Warn of Testing Shortages
- California Has a Plan to Pay the Back Rent for Low-Income Tenants. All of It.
- "We have to act now": Biden outlines economic rescue legislative package
- Queensland's coronavirus timeline: How COVID-19 cases spread across the state
- Biden’s $1.9 Trillion Challenge: End the Coronavirus Crisis Faster
- 'Stay at home': PM announces new restrictions on travel and gatherings to slow coronavirus spread
- These are the best states for health care
- Democrats Float $6 Trillion Plan Amid Talks on Narrower Infrastructure Deal
- LG Revises Order That Made Every Coronavirus Patient Visit Covid Centre For Clinical Assessment
- Buses blasted with UV light to rid them of coronavirus
- Congress pours $400 million into boosting states' election efforts amid coronavirus crisis, experts say it’s 'not enough'
- Exclusive: Treasury blueprint to raise taxes and freeze wages to pay for £300bn coronavirus bill
- Joe Biden warns Trump administration's vaccine distribution plans are "falling far behind"
- Covid news UK LIVE: Vaccine booster jab planned for over 50s in September as Covid cases hit highest level since January
Kenyans blast governor over plans to include Hennessy in coronavirus care packages have 631 words, post on www.vanguardngr.com at April 16, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.