Celebrity hairstylist Chris Appleton walked the Today co-anchor through the steps as she concealed her roots using touch-up powder
The Today with Hoda & Jenna co-anchor got a crash course in temporary root cover-up from Jennifer Lopez and Kim Kardashian West's go-to celebrity hairstylist Chris Appleton , who also recently helped Today co-anchor Carson Daly trim his hair via phone on live TV.
"First we're going to look at the powder option," the hairstylist said as Bush Hager, 38, held up multiple different product options she had on-hand.
"I heard the best thing to do was to blend the colors. Is that correct?" she asked. Appleton answered: "That's right. So you want to get your little brush. Load up the color on the brush. With these powders, you just want to use quite a lot of product. You don't need to be light handed."
Bush Hager pulled her hair down tight and brushed the powder from her blonde highlight up to the root. "I have my hair assistant, otherwise known as my husband [Harry Hager], here to hold my hair back tight!" she said as she got to work.
"If you hold them down tight, you can paint them in better and get a better visual," Appleton explained.
The the mom of three explained why people might be inclined to try a temporary powder root cover-up while they're social distancing at home during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic . "Some people would wonder why you would do this but I guess if you have an important Zoom meeting or maybe a family birthday or something or maybe just to make your husband feel uncomfortable on television," Bush Hager joked about her assistant colorist.
"Listen, everyone's on FaceTime. Everyone's on Instagram or everyone's kind of doing Zoom meetings. It's a great way just to brighten up your hair and give it a little bit of sparkle and also cover up any grays," Appleton said. "You can't go wrong with this. Anyone that's a beginner, this is a really safe way to get in there."
Bush Hager's Today colleague Daly also showed his Instagram followers how he's been getting prepped for television each morning without the help of his usual makeup artist.
"S—'s gettin real over here in the Daly home-studio! 1st @todayshow sent me real lights/cameras/satellite links & nuclear codes. Then our beloved makeup genius Mary shipped me make-up & promptly gave me a tutorial on how to look slightly less tired, pale & bloated at 7am," Daly wrote alongside a series of photos of himself doing his makeup.
As information about the coronavirus pandemic rapidly changes, PEOPLE is committed to providing the most recent data in our coverage. Some of the information in this story may have changed after publication. For the latest on COVID-19, readers are encouraged to use online resources from CDC , WHO , and local public health departments . PEOPLE has partnered with GoFundMe to raise money for the COVID-19 Relief Fund, a GoFundMe.org fundraiser to support everything from frontline responders to families in need, as well as organizations helping communities. For more information or to donate, click here .
- Today's Jenna Bush Hager shares stunning beach photos to celebrate special family occasion
- Jenna Bush Hager Celebrates 'Feisty' Daughter Poppy Louise's 6th Birthday: 'We Love You So'
- Today's Hoda Kotb surrounded by family and fiancé Joel Schiffman to mark major celebration inside family home
- George H.W. Bush, President And War Hero, Dies At 94
- Celebrity Kids Keep Crashing Their Parents' TV Interviews and It's Hilariously Relatable
- From farting to ‘overgrown bushes’ & getting the wax stuck, my tales as a bikini waxer will make you cross your legs
- Kelly Ripa Says She's Wearing Hair Clips to Manage Her Gray Roots During Quarantine
- Adele ably lets her hair down on a fitfully amusing Saturday Night Live
- Piers Morgan talks Kate Garraway's 'unimaginable anguish' as he 'roots' for husband Derek
- I'm A Celebrity 2021 line-up rumours: All the stars expected to enter Gwrych Castle
- 'Mortified' Eamonn Holmes 'humbly' apologises after 'alpaca' hair remark sparks outrage
- Strictly Come Dancing 2021 LATEST – Start date within WEEKS as Adam Peaty & Ugo Monye complete full celebrity line-up
- Tess Daly addresses 'shaking like a leaf' after husband Vernon revealed secret vow renewal
- Meghan Markle latest news – ‘Out of touch’ Duchess HUMILIATED as ‘rubbish’ mentoring plan flops after ‘lecturing’ women
- Vicar whose wife left him for Robson Green 'can't watch TV' as he feels haunted by the actor
- Katya Jones: Strictly pro admits ’hating’ being at top of her game with ex Neil Jones
- Robson Green says ice cold showers and girlfriend Zoila 'help keep him young'
- The 12 best shampoos for greasy hair that you can buy in 2021
- The Best British TV Shows on Netflix Right Now (August 2021) | Digital Trends
- I was so embarrassed by my afro hair I used an iron to straighten it, says Fleur East
Jenna Bush Hager Touches Up Her Roots on Live TV with the Help of a Celebrity Hair Pro and Her Husband have 960 words, post on people.com at April 21, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.