My partner has been asked to go on furlough. The government guidance allows employees to use the time to volunteer. His boss has suggested that he can therefore “volunteer” to help a fellow employee who is still at work. Is this legal? JC, London The boss is trying it on. The job retention scheme allows employers whose businesses have been halted by coronavirus to put their staff on leave and claim up to 80% of their wages from the government. It allows volunteering or training so long as it does not provide services or profit for the employer. “Helping another employee to perform their job involves providing services for their employer, albeit indirectly. It might also generate profits, and so is not permitted,” says Julia Wilson, partner in the employment practice at Baker McKenzie. JK of London asks if furloughed staff can take paid work with another company. The guidance is silent, although it specifies that employees who already have more than one employer can continue working for one while on furlough from another. “Our view is this should be permitted (and, indeed, would allow furloughed employees to support in the national effort),” says Wilson. “However, the contract with their… Read full this story
- Are You Willing to Ask For Help?
- Asking For Help is Not a Sign of Weakness
- Everything You Want to Know About Asking For Help But Were Afraid to Ask
- Get Your Ex Back Products - Do They Work?
- 4 Nasty Mind Tricks on How to Get Your Ex Back - Tricks That Always Work
- Discover How a Money Making Business Opportunity is Helping Moms Work From Home
- Marriage Problems? Help That Works!
- How to Win Your Ex Girlfriend Back - Stop Wasting Your Time and Find Out What Works
- What Alleviates Heartburn? Changes in Your Eating Habits Can Help
- Dirty Mind Tricks to Get Your Ex Back Real Fast! This Works Even When it Seems Hopeless
If you're on furlough, can you be asked to ‘volunteer’ to help staff at work? have 321 words, post on www.theguardian.com at April 9, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.