GARNET VALLEY, PA — A Delaware County man has been accused of beating two of his children, causing broken bones and more, according to the Delaware County District Attorney’s Office.
Delaware County District Attorney Jack Stollsteimer today Brandon P. Murphy, 29, of Garnet Valley was arrested and charged with multiple counts of child abuse inflicted on his own children.
The charges stem from an investigation by the DA’s Criminal Investigation Division (CID) that showed Murphy’s one-month-old baby suffered fractured bones and multiple bruises inflicted by him, and that injuries to the infant’s sixteen-month old sibling were also caused by the Murphy’s abuse.
Murphy was arraigned Tuesday on three felony counts of aggravated assault, as well as a fourth charge of misdemeanor simple assault. Charges of simple assault and endangering the welfare of a child were filed against the defendant on account of injuries to the second child. Those injuries had been the subject of a separate investigation from October 2019. At that time, the child had been removed from the home and placed in foster care.
On April 14, the Marcus Hook Police Department was contacted by the Delaware County’s Department of Children and Youth Services after being alerted to the suspected abuse by Dupont Hospital.
The DA’s office said, at the hospital, police spoke with Murphy, who denied any wrongdoing.
Police then contacted CID’s Special Victims Unit to launch a child abuse investigation.
CID Detectives interviewed the infant’s mother, Melissa Plasha, who told investigators the injury occurred while Murphy was alone with the infant.
Detectives also spoke with the Dupont physician who treated the infant and were learned the infant sustained trauma consistent with child abuse.
Murphy was taken into custody on Monday, April 20, by detectives from CID, assisted by the Marcus Hook Police Department.
He was held after failing to post 10 percent of $50,000 bail. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for May 28, court records show.
- Beat the heat: 16 places for cooling down this summer
- LaVar Ball claims he had his kids potty-trained when they were 10-months-old — ‘Nobody had Pampers on’
- Youngest Texas shooting victim just 18 months old: What we know now
- Seven penguins, including 8-month-old, mysteriously found dead at Canadian zoo
- ‘A painful death’: Chester toddler’s dad beat her, waited to call 911, prosecutor says
- 8-month-old Westfield baby, injured in beating, dies; DA says father faces additional charges
- Ciara surprises N.J. dad with visit, $5k for winning her 'Level Up' challenge
- Racing for a Cure! NYC Dad Builds Race Car to Help Find a Cure for Son’s Incurable Brain Disease
- Police: Woman leaves children in hot car, attacks 911 caller
- Georgia Grandfather, Girlfriend Charged After Children in Their Care Discovered 'Severely Beaten' and 'Underweight'
Delco Dad Beat 1-Month-Old, 16-Month Old Children: DA have 446 words, post on patch.com at April 22, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.