The staff and residents of care homes in England can now be tested for coronavirus, even if they don’t have any symptoms, while anyone over 65 with symptoms can also be tested.But in Wales, the approach is different for the moment. Testing lets people confirm if they have the disease and provides information about the virus’ spread.Health Minister Vaughan Gething said on Tuesday he had been given advice that testing everyone in the care sector – there are around 25,000 care home residents – was not the best use of resources.So, what is the position on testing in Wales?The Welsh Government is committed to testing key workers with symptoms, including care home staff and also care home residents, but not to test anyone else over 65 if they have symptoms.The health minister says he has clear advice from medical and scientific advisers that this is a best use of testing resources and to not simply test “everyone and anyone”.Why not offer it to more people like in England?The inference is that you will have to keep on testing people, perhaps multiple times, and at the moment Wales does not have the capacity.But the Welsh Government aims in the future, as… Read full this story
- South Africa Looking For Change Of Fortune In Third Test Against England
- Kagiso Rabada banned for final Test against England after Root send-off
- Johannesburg Test vs England Could be my Last on Home Soil: Faf du Plessis Drops Retirement Hints
- South Africa hit with massive blow as Kagiso Rabada banned for final Test against England for celebration of Joe Root's wicket
- Faf du Plessis responds to exit rumours, claims Wanderers Test against England could be his last at home
- Rabada banned for final Test against England
- Ross England: Tory candidate accused of sabotaging rape trial 'wants to quit'
- England's bug-struck trio take no part in warm-up match
- Stokes follows in Botham's footsteps as he passes 4,000 Test runs
- Deadly coronavirus 'could ALREADY be in Britain': Heathrow passengers from Wuhan are placed in isolation as death toll soars to 17 and China prepares to ban ANYONE from leaving city of 11m
Coronavirus: Why is Wales not testing over 65s as in England? have 355 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at April 30, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.