Council leaders have told Sky News they will need “rock solid” financial support from the government if they’re to deal with the social challenges caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Charities have said they are already starting to see a rise in homelessness among some of the most vulnerable in society.In a churchyard, tucked away from the view of surrounding houses, Ashley Khan and Katie Bland are packing up their tent and rucksacks.It’s 8am and although the sun is shining it feels cold.Ms Bland, 26, said: “This is all I’ve got, these clothes what I’m wearing, a few pairs of socks, underwear, wash bits, headphones. Advertisement “Everything is a bit damp.”The couple have been living in a tent in Bolton, Greater Manchester, for the past few weeks, mainly camping in woods well away from the city centre. More from Covid-19 Coronavirus: Boris Johnson returning to work to face pressure over lifting lockdown measures Coronavirus: Millions in India facing hunger during COVID-19 lockdown measures Coronavirus: Soldiers to man nearly 100 mobile COVID-19 testing units across UK Coronavirus: Boris Johnson will be back at work in Downing Street on Monday Coronavirus: Africa is poorly prepared to deal with COVID-19 but ingenuity offers hope Coronavirus:… Read full this story
- What makes homelessness rise rapidly? New study provides possible answer
- Lawyer says Linda Stein's daughter has 'rock solid' alibi
- Zippy web browsing, rock-solid feel: New Apple iPad is perfect down to the last micrometer
- Rock-solid reputations are soiled by a quest for campaign purity
- Fey earns 'Rock'-solid support for next season
- On the Radio: New 'XRK boss sees rock-solid future
- Chris and wife acting like marriage is Rock solid
- Tom Selleck is rock-solid as Jesse Stone in Thin Ice'
- City Council wants answers from officials about homelessness study
- CCNY rock solid in race for national title
Coronavirus: Councils need 'rock solid' financial support as homelessness rises during outbreak have 306 words, post on news.sky.com at April 26, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.