Kathleen Hanna and Joe Strummer. And Jordan Catalano. Hailey Baldwin, Rihanna and Bella Hadid still do. Once you start looking, Dr Martens are everywhere. Sixty years after launching the eight-hole 1460 boot – on, as the name suggests, the 1 April 1960 – it is an undisputed classic, one of those rare-as-hen’s-teeth designs that is as likely to be spotted in a museum as it is (until recently, of course) on the streets outside. It is up there with Levi’s 501s, the Fred Perry polo shirt, the Converse All Star and the Harrington jacket. And, like these other items, the 1460 is enjoying a fashion moment beyond its classic status. Perhaps because the past decade has been so turbulent – even before we had a global pandemic to contend with – fashion has returned to the dependable. The Hadids, Baldwin and Kaia Gerber are all endorsing Dr Martens. In other words, as Vogue declared in October, they have become “model off-duty staple”. While the vegan range and patterned designs have been credited with a 70% rise in profit for the brand in 2019, the 1460 remains the bestseller and it is this history that is likely to have attracted rumours… Read full this story
- Coronation Street star Melanie Hill gets married in a London pub wearing customised Doc Martens boots
- Screen legend Jack Nicholson to retire after 60 year career and twelve Oscar nominations
- Remember Girl Talk, Smash Hits and J17? Here are the magazines you definitely read as a teen
- Sequel to smash hit Jurassic World movie set to be filmed in Wales
- Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish joins Dragons’ Den and admits he is thrilled to land new gig on smash-hit TV show
- First listen: Afrojack’s remix of Justin Bieber and David Guetta’s smash hit 2U
- Celebrity Big Brother’s Samantha Fox goes back to the Eighties as she treats the house to a rendition of her smash hit Touch Me
- As we reveal Queen’s 1981 Greatest Hits is one of the top 60 albums of last 60 years… how many of the top 60 do you have?
- Great British Bake Off fans start petition to get Ainsley Harriott on board as new host of smash hit show
- 60 years on, cities still struggle with smog
Carpe DM: 60 years of the Dr Martens boot – fashion's subversive smash hit have 367 words, post on www.theguardian.com at April 1, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.