Supermarket shoppers will face even longer queues on Saturday as government rules mean larger stores cannot open on Easter Sunday. Rules passed down by the Department for Business say no shop larger than 280sq metres can open on Easter Sunday or Christmas Day. Despite Britain being in a state of lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, a DfB spokesman said ‘existing rules still apply’. Shoppers keep their distance from one another outside a Sainsbury’s in Durham on Wednesday, as the spread of coronavirus continues. Queues could be even longer on Saturday as stores prepare to close for Easter Sunday Most supermarkets now have two metre lines to keep customers apart. Shoppers heading into the west London Sainsbury’s were closer together during a long queue on March 20 Which shops have to close on Easter Sunday? The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy have clear guidelines on which stores can and can’t open on Easter Sunday.Any shop over 280sq metres must stay shut for the full day.There are exemptions, these are the ones listed on gov.uk: Airport and railway station outletsService station outletsRegistered pharmacies selling only medicinal products and medical and surgical appliancesFarms selling mainly their own produceOutlets wholly or mainly… Read full this story
- Britain's middle class faces £30billion tax raid to pay for coronavirus bailout with capital gains and corporation taxes both set to be raised
- UK records just three daily Covid deaths in lowest preliminary Sunday total since lockdown began
- Transcript: Rep. Steve Scalise on "Face the Nation," August 11, 2019
- Luton is made the UK's latest 'area of intervention' after spike in coronavirus cases - meaning gyms and leisure sites will stay closed this weekend when the rest of the nation opens up
- Why a supermarket price war is bad news for Britain's ability to feed itself
- Priti Patel warns illegal rave organisers 'you are NOT above the law' as police forces across UK prepare to break-up dozens of parties billed as 'the real Notting Hill Carnival' after event was cancelled this Bank Holiday weekend
- Britain on terror alert: Special forces on the streets of London as experts warn ISIS is using the PlayStation 4 network to recruit and plan attacks because it's 'more secure than WhatsApp'
- MTV VMAs 2020: Lady Gaga dons several face coverings and NINE different outfits as she leads the night winning FIVE moonpersons including first ever Tricon Award and urges fans 'wear a mask, it's a sign of respect'
- 'Protests' or 'riots?' It makes a BIG difference.
- Rebecca Grant: Why Kentucky Derby, Tiz the Law will make America feel good again
Big supermarkets will be forced to close by law on Easter Sunday meaning shopper will face even LONGER queues on Saturday evening have 425 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at April 9, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.