In some years, more than 40% of all local laws passed by the New York City council have been street name changes. Let me give you a moment to think about that. The city council is congress to the mayor’s president. Its 51 members monitor the country’s largest school system and police force, and decide land use for one of the most densely populated places on Earth. Its budget is larger than most states’, its population bigger than all but 11 states. On top of that, New York’s streets have largely been named or numbered since the 19th century, with some street names, such as Stuyvesant and the Bowery, dating from when Manhattan was little more than a Dutch trading station. And yet, I’ll say it again: in some years, more than 40% of all local laws passed by the New York City council have been street name changes. The city council often focuses on honorary street names layered on top of the regular map. So when you walk through the city, you may look up and see that while you are on West 103rd Street, you are also on Humphrey Bogart Place. Or you might be on Broadway and… Read full this story
- Socialism has robbed the Venezuelan people of their human rights: Trish Regan
- Soccer-Cameroon stripped of right to host 2019 African Nations Cup
- Sports Minister Saddiq defends Malaysia’s Israeli ban after being stripped of right to host para swimming championship
- PODCAST: Strategist Eamonn Fitzpatrick on Labor's electoral momentum and getting the basics right for today's Australia
- PODCAST: Strategist Eamonn Fitzpatrick on Labor's momentum and getting the basics right for the electorate
- 'Hire the right people and foster the right culture'
- These are the 50 richest people in the world right now
- Get the basics right to create a happy workforce
- MEMO TO AMERICA: ‘BELONGING’ IS A CIVIL RIGHT, NOT AN OPTION
- Despite ‘traumatic' closing of Toys R Us, Basic Fun! CEO bullish on industry
The unlisted: how people without an address are stripped of their basic rights have 325 words, post on www.theguardian.com at March 26, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.