In some years, more than 40% of all local laws passed by the New York City council have been street name changes. Let me give you a moment to think about that. The city council is congress to the mayor’s president. Its 51 members monitor the country’s largest school system and police force, and decide land use for one of the most densely populated places on Earth. Its budget is larger than most states’, its population bigger than all but 11 states. On top of that, New York’s streets have largely been named or numbered since the 19th century, with some street names, such as Stuyvesant and the Bowery, dating from when Manhattan was little more than a Dutch trading station. And yet, I’ll say it again: in some years, more than 40% of all local laws passed by the New York City council have been street name changes. The city council often focuses on honorary street names layered on top of the regular map. So when you walk through the city, you may look up and see that while you are on West 103rd Street, you are also on Humphrey Bogart Place. Or you might be on Broadway and… Read full this story
- Indigenous People Fight For Their Rights. Governments And Businesses Call Them Terrorists.
- Voting is a basic right but they didn't guarantee it in the Constitution
- Neo-Nazi Convicted Of Domestic Terrorism Was Among 'Very Fine People' At Unite The Right
- Idris Elba as People’s Sexiest Man: Righting last year’s Blake Shelton wrong
- Will Florida’s Ex-Felons Finally Regain the Right to Vote?
- I-TEAM: Majority of right-of-ways, sidewalks at top of priority list for fixes aren't funded in Richmond County
- Rock Band Plays an Unexpected Role in Creating Human Rights in Schools.
- SMTC Announces Results of Rights Offering
- Florida Just Passed the Largest Expansion of Voting Rights in Decades
- The People Spoke: What Trump And The Corporate Media Got Wrong About Manafort’s Trial
The unlisted: how people without an address are stripped of their basic rights have 330 words, post on www.theguardian.com at March 26, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.