The Army has put 20,000 troops on standby as Boris Johnson hints London could face a total lockdown within days amid fears the ‘superspreader city’ is the engine of the UK’s coronavirus outbreak after the daily death rate doubled to 33 in 24 hours. The Prime Minister refused to rule out the possibility of ‘further and faster measures’ to control the spread of the virus on the busy streets of the capital, where the epidemic is running ahead of the rest of the country. He said ‘ruthless’ enforcement of so-called social distancing measures – such as working from home and avoiding social gatherings in pubs, cinemas and restaurants – was needed. Some 953 people have been diagnosed with coronavirus in London – more than a third of the UK total of 2,626. A draconian lockdown could be implemented as early as this weekend in the capital, populated by 9million, which officials believe has become a ‘city of superspreaders’, according to The Daily Telegraph. It comes as military chiefs are putting up to 20,000 troops on standby to be deployed to Britain’s streets, hospitals and other key sites to help tackle the pandemic. It is thought that many are undergoing fast-track training… Read full this story
- Is full Lockdown Mk 3 coming? Keir Starmer demands new national squeeze within 24 hours to stop 'out of control' mutant Covid as Boris Johnson says rules are 'probably about to get tougher'
- GCSE and A Levels are CANCELLED: Second summer of predicted grades as Boris Johnson says 'alternative arrangements' will be found as schools are closed until at least February half term
- Brits ‘on the brink of Tier 5 lockdown’ as Boris Johnson warns of tougher restrictions
- Boris Johnson says schools will be 'very first' to reopen - but it might not be in February
- Boris Johnson says life-and-death decisions over Covid would have troubled wise old King Solomon
- Boris Johnson says ‘send kids to school’ but SAGE expert warns 12 to 16s SEVEN times more likely to spread Covid
- Total national lockdown by the end of January is inevitable, says SAGE expert as 20million are plunged into Tier 4 and Boris pins everything on Oxford vaccine after 981 die in worst daily death toll since April
- COVID-19: Boris Johnson says lifting lockdown restrictions will be 'gradual' and not a 'big bang'
- COVID-19: Boris Johnson says England lockdown easing will be 'gradual, not a big bang'
- Covid updates: Boris Johnson plunges England into third lockdown with schools shut
'Superspreader city' London faces total lockdown in DAYS as Boris Johnson says he 'rules nothing out' and 20,000 troops are put on standby to enforce new laws - after UK's daily death rate DOUBLED to 33 in 24 hours have 392 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at March 18, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.