For those staying at home during the pandemic, the entertainment options might soon run low. There are only so many podcasts released each week, and streaming TV shows and films for 18 hours straight is no more practical than reading books all day, if one has to be moving around cooking, exercising, or preventing small children from maiming themselves with unexpected household objects. So perhaps the long-form audiobook deserves a top slot in the menu of, I’m sorry, quarantainment. This might be a good chance to catch up on classics from previous centuries. An unavoidable monument here – and already a recent bestseller on Scribd, which has just announced that all its books and audiobooks will be available free for 30 days — is The Plague by Albert Camus. This is the tale of a small French-Algerian town cut off from the outside world after an outbreak of bubonic plague, which its citizens at first refuse to believe is a serious threat. The central character, a doctor, remarks that his fellow townspeople in this respect “were like everybody else, wrapped up in themselves; in other words, they were humanists: they disbelieved in pestilences. A pestilence isn’t a thing made to… Read full this story
- Hasidic men who beat up gay black victim in Brooklyn attack sentenced to 150 hours of community service
- Stillwater prison still in partial lockdown four weeks after corrections officer killed
- Sawgrass Mills mall evacuated and on lockdown, cops say
- Maximum security prison inmates in lockdown after gang fight
- Wellington game shooting: Pre-K teacher huddles with teens in lockdown
- NY maximum security prison inmates in lockdown after gang fight
- More than a month after correctional officer's slaying, lockdown ends at Stillwater prison
- PBS' 'Great American Read' asks: What is America's best-loved novel?: TV press tour
- Family listens to the beating heart of their daughter received by Nebraska farmer
- The Great Stoneboro Fair in Mercer County PA…“Always on Labor Day, A Family Tradition for Over 150 Fairs”!
Got 150 hours? Great audiobooks to listen to on lockdown have 325 words, post on www.theguardian.com at March 25, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.