* EU leaders to hold third coronavirus videoconference at 1500 GMT * Italy and France want ‘corona bonds’ – Germany leads opposition * Idea of common EU debt is taboo in fiscally conservative Germany * Some countries open to considering mutualised debt – but not yet By Gabriela Baczynska and Marine Strauss BRUSSELS, March 26 (Reuters) – Germany and the Netherlands will lead opposition to issuing joint bonds to help revive the European Union economy from a deep slump caused by the coronavirus when the bloc’s national leaders discuss emergency assistance on Thursday. Nine EU countries including France, Italy and Spain have called for mutualised debt as the continent, seeking to limit the spread of the disease, goes into a lockdown that is hammering its economic outlook. “We need to work on a common debt instrument issued by a European institution to raise funds on the market,” the nine leaders said ahead of the 1500 GMT video call of all the bloc’s 27 national leaders on Thursday. Germany, the Netherlands, Austria and Finland – the fiscally conservative “Frugals” – are opposed, although there are signs that the subject may not always be as off-limits for them as it is now,… Read full this story
- Farage attacks 'cult of EU fanatics' after Juncker warns no deal Brexit will 'collapse' UK
- Boris Johnson’s Brexit threat: PM will ABORT talks if EU fails to come up with own ideas
- 'Italy's budget crisis is a bigger threat to the EU than Brexit'
- Extension rebellion: Boris Johnson could stage stunning walk-out protest at EU summit
- Express.co.uk POLL: Is Leo Varadkar to blame for blocking Brexit? VOTE HERE
- Varadkar condemned for blocking Brexit in Express poll –‘Rejected proposals at every step’
- Brexit ahead: October’s Summit to seal a deal or lead to a breakdown
- What will happen to the Irish border after Brexit, when’s the EU deadline and what currently happens at the crossing?
- What will happen to the Irish border after Brexit, when is the EU deadline and what currently happens at the crossing?
- Will EU Brexit summit crash on The Rock?
Germans and Dutch set to block EU 'corona bonds' at video summit have 335 words, post on www.reuters.com at March 25, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.