Supermarket vouchers are to begin going out to children entitled to free school meals during the coronavirus outbreak.Schools have been closed as part of measures to help slow the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.The vouchers, worth £15-a-week for each eligible child, have been set above the £11.50 currently paid to schools for the cost of providing free meals.The decision is in recognition that families – unlike school caterers – do not order in bulk and therefore face higher costs.The vouchers can be spent on food at a range of shops including Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Waitrose and Marks and Spencer, although Mr Williamson said he hoped to get all the supermarket chains signed up. Advertisement Education Secretary Gavin Williamson said schools across England are being invited to join the scheme to ensure those families most in need of support get the help they need.He added the devolved administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were also being given the chance to sign up. More from UK Coronavirus: British Airways temporarily suspends flights from London’s Gatwick Airport Coronavirus LIVE: Boris Johnson to host cabinet meeting from isolation Coronavirus: Senior officer warns police over lockdown tactics after ‘over-zealous’… Read full this story
- Have the Tories taken free school meals away from one million children?
- How to apply for free school meals, who is entitled to them in the UK and why was Theresa May going to scrap them?
- Huge cuts are coming to free school meals
- Every child in South Lanarkshire could soon get a free school breakfast
- New Jersey Assembly advances school meal bills
- Giving vulnerable children a boarding school place can dramatically improve their future, Government study finds
- £4.2 million free school to close 16 months after Tory minister cut ribbon
- National Offer Day: Free schools have benefited every part of the country
- Free School Gardening Curriculum Offered by Rodale Institute
- 1 dead, 11 children injured in school van-tanker collision in North Delhi
Coronavirus: Supermarket vouchers to go out to children entitled to free school meals have 330 words, post on news.sky.com at March 31, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.