New Delhi: Working on the principle of “prevention is better than cure”, the Indian Air Force (IAF) has banned social gatherings and non-essential travel in view of the coronavirus outbreak. The move comes as 30 people have tested positive in India so far.
In a circular issued to all Command Headquarters, units have been asked to conduct a morning parade to check if any officer or jawan is showing signs of cough, cold and fever. Those found to be carrying symptoms of the virus will admitted to the nearest military hospital.
The circular mandates all officers and jawans who have had any contact with a suspected case of coronavirus or travel history to affected countries like China, Italy and Iran to immediately seek medical advice. If required, personnel have been asked to quarantine themselves at home for 14 days.
IAF sources say the idea of the circular is not to spread panic but to take preventive action.
The coronavirus has put a break on the IAF’s socialising as well. All social, official and welfare gatherings have been cancelled or postponed. All non-essential travel has been banned till further orders.
On February 26, an IAF C17 transport aircraft evacuated 76 Indians and 36 foreign nationals from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak. It had also carried with it 15 tonnes of medical supplies for China.
Neither the crew on that flight nor any other IAF personnel has shown any symptoms of the infection.
The India Navy has already cancelled its largest Multi National Excerise ‘MILAN’ on account of the virus that has infected 95,000 people worldwide and killed over 3,300.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time.
- Exclusive — Tom Cotton Urges Trump Administration to Consider Banning Travel from China over Coronavirus
- Air New Zealand share price drop follows international trend as coronavirus spooks investors
- Coronavirus: UK Steps Up Security to Protect ‘Porous Borders’ As China Quarantines Wuhan
- Coronavirus traps Wuhan residents in a real life horror movie as Chinese city locks down
- China coronavirus claims sixth victim, new cases top 300
- New China virus claims sixth victim as holiday travel stokes risk
- China virus spreads to U.S., curbing travel plans and spooking markets
- Screening in UK as 17 killed by 'mutating' coronavirus
- China mystery virus claims sixth victim as holiday travel stokes risk
- Coronavirus spotlights Japan contagion risks as Olympics loom
- How Kate’s ‘reverse-ageing’ and Meghan’s ‘non-surgical nose job’ have sparked filler craze
- Boy is banned from school at age five because of his 'violent' behaviour
- Thousands are told to find shelter NOW as bushfires approach - while Sydney faces a nervous wait with 'catastrophic' conditions set to get WORSE and the PM warns our darkest hours are ahead
- The Storming of Area 51: A Covert Journey to the Heart of America’s Worst-Kept Secret
- China Says ‘No Need to Panic’ as Deadly Virus Goes International
- Boris Johnson slams Extinction Rebellion's 'nose-ringed crusties in hemp-smelling bivouacs' amid fury at police for failing to stop eco-mob shutting down swathes of London despite 321 arrests
- AP: TDP MP Galla Jayadev remanded, moved to Guntur Sub Jail for protesting against 3-capital plan
- Bike lane blues: why don’t businesses want a £30m cycle-friendly upgrade?
- China's Wuhan shuts down transport as global alarm mounts over virus spread
- Global alarm mounts as China virus deaths hit 17
Coronavirus Scare: IAF Bans Parties & Non-essential Travel to Keep Personnel Safe have 569 words, post on www.news18.com at March 5, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.