President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump discusses coronavirus with China’s Xi El Paso Walmart shooting suspect charged under federal hate crime law Buttigieg: It was ‘disgraceful’ to hear Trump’s attacks on Romney MORE on Thursday poked fun at Rep. Jim JordanJames (Jim) Daniel JordanHouse Republicans move Jordan to Judiciary, Meadows to Oversight Top Homeland Security Democrat voices opposition to facial recognition moratorium Trump holds White House ‘celebration’ for impeachment acquittal MORE‘s (R-Ohio) propensity for not wearing a dress jacket during an at times meandering speech celebrating his impeachment acquittal.
“When I first got to know Jim, I said, ‘Huh. He never wears a jacket. What the hell’s going on?'” Trump said as he recognized Jordan in the audience. “He’s obviously very proud of his body.”
“And they say where he works out … the machine starts burning. It’s just a different form of a workout from us,” Trump continued as other lawmakers in attendance laughed.
“But one day I’m looking, and he looks tough, and I’m looking at those ears. And I say, ‘Those ears have something going on there.’ I say, did you ever wrestle?”
Jordan was a successful collegiate wrestler. He’s been as tenacious in House hearings and in television appearances in his defense of Trump and his attacks on the president’s critics. Jordan was moved by House leadership to the House Intelligence Committee during the impeachment hearings to provide a tough voice in defense of Trump.
The president on Thursday praised Jordan, who was wearing a jacket at the White House, as “some warrior,” eliciting applause from others in the room.
Jordan was embroiled in controversy last year when he faced allegations that he ignored sexual misconduct by another coach during his time as a wrestling coach at Ohio State University. Jordan has denied knowing of the coach’s misconduct.
Trump delivered a speech in the East Room of the White House exulting his acquittal in the Senate a day earlier on impeachment charges that he abused his power and obstructed Congress.
Jordan was among several Republican lawmakers who attended Trump’s remarks. Others included Reps. Matt GaetzMatthew (Matt) GaetzHouse rejects GOP resolution condemning Pelosi for ripping up Trump’s speech Trump holds White House ‘celebration’ for impeachment acquittal Trump on Jim Jordan: ‘He’s obviously very proud of his body’ MORE (Fla.), Doug CollinsDouglas (Doug) Allen CollinsHouse Republicans move Jordan to Judiciary, Meadows to Oversight Trump holds White House ‘celebration’ for impeachment acquittal Trump on Jim Jordan: ‘He’s obviously very proud of his body’ MORE (Ga.), Elise StefanikElise Marie StefanikTrump holds White House ‘celebration’ for impeachment acquittal Trump on Jim Jordan: ‘He’s obviously very proud of his body’ Trump urges Congress to pass bill allowing new parents to advance tax credits MORE (N.Y.) and Mark MeadowsMark Randall MeadowsHouse Republicans move Jordan to Judiciary, Meadows to Oversight Trump holds White House ‘celebration’ for impeachment acquittal Trump on Jim Jordan: ‘He’s obviously very proud of his body’ MORE (N.C.).
The president took time during his remarks to acknowledge each lawmaker in attendance.
Morgan Chalfant contributed.
- Top conservatives pen letter to Trump with concerns on fourth coronavirus relief bill
- Donald Trump Rips Jim Acosta for ‘Nasty, Snarky Question’ During Briefing
- Jim Carrey Returns to Trump-Bashing Art After ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ PR Tour Ends
- Trump Pulls White House Access for CNN’s Jim Acosta
- Donald Trump warns 'one grandstander' could try to slow down $2.2 trillion relief bill Congress will vote on tomorrow - but vows relief IS on the way as unemployment hits 3.3 million
- 'He's a total disgrace': Trump defends firing U.S. intel watchdog
- Trump Signs Cares Act While Putting Defense Production Act Into Effect, Claiming 'GM Was Wasting Time'
- Donald Trump blames partial US Government shutdown on Democrats for not agreeing to border wall funding
- For Wall Streeters Who Bet Long on Trump, It’s Bonus Time
- Tony Fauci is BACK - doctor attends press briefing but Donald Trump doesn't have him speak when asked about timeline to open American business by Easter
- Trump admits China's coronavirus numbers 'seem a little on the light side' but says he didn't ask President Xi whether they're accurate because of a $250billion trade deal
- Family blame smoking pot and drinking heavily for Chattanooga gunman's troubles and say he spent five months in Jordan to escape 'bad influences'
- 12-Year-Old Yemeni Girl Is Stranded in Africa and Unable to Reunite with Her Family Due to Trump's Immigration Ban
- Trump Opens the Door to Campaigning for Roy Moore
- James Jordan reveals four-week-old daughter shares one of his traits – and fans agree!
- How Trump Learned to Trust Steve Mnuchin With His Presidency
- Coronavirus live updates: Trump blasts naval captain who wrote letter from virus-stricken ship
- Trump sees 'light at the end of the tunnel' at start of 'Pearl Harbor' week
- Donald Trump Blames California Wildfires on Forest Mismanagement, Threatens to Pull Federal Funding
- A Year After Charlottesville, Racists to Gather in Trump’s Neighborhood
Trump on Jim Jordan: 'He's obviously very proud of his body' have 834 words, post on thehill.com at February 6, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.