The Simpsons fans are having a mild breakdown after realising the real-time ages of the likes of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie who have defiantly clung on to their youthful looks for the past 30 years.
Al Jean, writer of the longest-running animation on US television, horrified his followers on Twitter with the nightmare realisation that had Bart aged like the rest of us, he would now be the same age as Homer.
'If Homer is 39 he was born in 1980 which is when we said Bart was born,' he wrote, immediately causing panic.
. @TheSimpsons If Homer is 39 he was born in 1980 which is when we said Bart was born.
— Al Jean (@AlJean) January 28, 2020
When @TheSimpsons started on Fox , I was the same age as Bart. I turned 39 a month and a half ago, so I'm Homers age. @AlJean @MikeReissWriter my fingers are crossed that the show lasts long enough for me to say that I'll be the same age as Grandpa
— rachel antolovic (@RachelAntolovic) January 28, 2020
How did I get to be older than Homer Simpson?
— Tom Williams (@Jigglysaint) January 28, 2020
I'm… three years older than Homer Simpson? pic.twitter.com/nWiXWPgmeL
— R. K. Stewart Wants a Vat of Snokes (@RKSDooM) January 28, 2020
When the show premiered I was 5 years older than Bart. Now I'm 5 years older than Homer!
— Brad C. (@SimpsonsFan714) January 28, 2020
'When The Simpsons started on Fox , I was the same age as Bart. I turned 39 a month and a half ago, so I'm Homers age,' cried one fan, which was followed by: 'It's definitely weird for me to have been Bart's age at the series start and now be aged up to Homer. D'oh!'
Another petrified follower whimpered: 'I'm… three years older than Homer Simpson?'
And among the few who haven't called for The Simpsons to bow out gracefully, one optimist tweeted: 'My fingers are crossed that the show lasts long enough for me to say that I'll be the same age as Grandpa.'
The Simpsons launched in 1989 and swiftly amassed one of the most devoted and enormous followings in television, regularly airing to over 20 million viewers in the US alone.
Just last month composer Danny Elfman claimed the cartoon was closing down after three decades, although showrunner Al put those suggestions to bed.
From predicting the future countless times ( even the Coronavirus ), to the game-changing quotes and memes, The Simpsons will outlive all of us and one day we will all be the same age as Grandpa, even if Bart won't.
The Simpsons is available to stream on Disney+ in the US and Sky One here in the UK.
Got a showbiz story?
- TV One’s Unsung Reveals the Realness of Chanté Moore
- Study reveals the one time women like being sexually objectified
- Holiday Shopping In August? For Merchants, Nows The Time To Prepare
- Tell Us 5 Things About Your Book: Grief and Laughter Mingle in ‘Tragedy Plus Time’
- Miley Cyrus sweetly hugs birthday girl Dakota Johnson at party... as it's revealed new love interest Cody Simpson has had crush on her since 2012
- Binyavanga Wainaina, Chigozie Obioma, Hawa J Golakai, Megan Ross: 15 Writers and Editors Tell Us What They Are Reading for Christmas
- The 10 Best Stories About the First Time You Had Sex
- Community Building: How to Win Fans and Influence Users #SEMrushchat
- The age of profile anxiety
- Racy rascal who rescued Downton: RICHARD KAY reveals the astonishing life of the 6th Earl of Carnarvon, who lost his virginity on a polar bearskin rug, seduced a cousin of the Queen Mother and spent his life fleeing from cuckolded husbands
- Jeanette Winterson on Time, Language, Reading, and How Art Creates a Sanctified Space for the Human Spirit
- Ongoingness: Sarah Manguso on Time, Memory, Beginnings and Endings, and the True Measure of Aliveness
- Now, Unpaid Uptown Magazine Writers Organize
- First impressions of Worlds Adrift: Innovation, Zelda, open-world PvP, and that sinking feeling
- The Racy Jazz Age Best Seller You’ve Never Heard Of
- On social anxiety in the age of social media
- Magic Leap is either brilliant or BS. It's ready to prove its AR gear is real
- What existentialist philosophy reveals about prejudices – Jonathan Webber
- New York Times boss Mark Thompson: 'When it comes to news, Facebook still doesn’t get it'
- A Conversation With Veteran 'Simpsons' Writer Mike Reiss About 30 Years Of Springfield
The Simpsons fans freak out as writer reveals Bart’s real-time age and prepare to feel ancient have 801 words, post on metro.co.uk at February 3, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.