It is easy to imagine why Donald Trump might not enjoy Parasite, a film in which members of a desperate underclass attempt to improve their lot, toppling the glossy, flash lives of their rich employers. And last week, the 45th president indeed took two opportunities to pour scorn on the Bong Joon-ho hit, the first foreign language film to scoop the top prize at the Oscars. Addressing his supporters in Colorado, Trump asked: “What the hell was that all about?” and then randomly called for a return to awards for “so many great movies” of the past, such as Gone With the Wind or Sunset Boulevard. In Las Vegas on Friday, he took another run at the South Korean film, throwing in a fresh attack on Brad Pitt, who’s not in it, for good measure. But it turns out it is not the content of Parasite that Trump objects to. He hasn’t actually seen it. “Was it good? I don’t know,” he said in Colorado. If the US president simply wants a winner that sounds good to him, we can surely guess at his favourites. Certainly, Big, starring Tom Hanks, would be up there. Trump loves that word. Other eclectic… Read full this story
- Japan’s PM to play golf and talk politics with Donald Trump in Florida
- Why is Donald Trump so hostile to Nato and are his claims justified?
- Opinion: The US has a point leaving the UN Human Rights Council, even if you disagree with Donald Trump
- Tens of thousands march in London against Donald Trump
- Donald Trump plays golf in Scotland as thousands protest against UK visit
- Porn star Stormy Daniels reveals sketch of suspect who ‘threatened her to keep quiet about Donald Trump affair
- WATCH Oliver Stone Compares Donald Trump to Biblical Devil
- Donald Trump arrives at Chequers for crunch showdown with Theresa May after explosive Brexit interview
- Opinion: Donald Trump is cosying up to Vladimir Putin while cutting off Europe – we should be scared
- Donald Trump tells 'whimpering' comedian Jimmy Fallon: 'Be a man!'
The Observer view on Donald Trump’s criticism of the film Parasite have 344 words, post on www.theguardian.com at February 23, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.