The coronavirus outbreak poses a ‘very grave threat for the rest of the world’, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) has said. Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has urged countries to share virus samples and speed up research into drugs and vaccines. ‘With 99 per cent of cases in China, this remains very much an emergency for that country, but one that holds a very grave threat for the rest of the world,’ he said. Dr Ghebreyesus spoke at a meeting of more than 400 researchers and national authorities, including some participating by video conference from mainland China and Taiwan. More than 43,000 patients across the world have caught the killer infection, and figures show more than 1,000 people have now died. Dr Ghebreyesus is believed to be referring to poorer countries, such as in Africa and Asia, which don’t have the money or power China has and could struggle – or fail – to contain the virus if it took hold there. Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, the director-general of the World Health Organization, said other countries may be less able to fight off the virus than China More than 43,000 patients across the world have caught the killer infection,… Read full this story
- Countries urged to wipe out killer trans fats from foods
- What is Ebola, has there been an outbreak in 2018 in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and is there a vaccine?
- Ebola outbreak revealed failings of Guineas health system, helped to addressed them
- Brisbane flu: New killer flu strain is ‘one of the most dangerous in the world – and could trigger deadliest winter yet’
- Baby dies from whooping cough in 'tragic' case of killer bacterial infection
- Iraqi authorities bury 1,000 bodies of militant fighters in mass grave outside Mosul
- 'Get Ready Russia': Donald Trump Risks a World War in Syria
- House mice carry deadly antiobiotic-resistant diseases, scientists warn
- Man warns 'Putin’s chain dog' wants him dead hours before assassin guns him down
- New Ebola outbreak kills 20 in DR Congo just nine days after health workers declared virus contained
Killer coronavirus outbreak poses a 'very grave threat for the rest of the world', the head of the World Health Organization warns have 329 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at February 11, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.