International Mother Language Day (IMLD) is annually observed on 21 February. The day is observed with the aim of promoting awareness of linguistic and cultural diversity and to promote multilingualism.
International Mother Language Day has been observed every year since February 2000 to promote linguistic and cultural diversity and multilingualism.
History Of International Mother Language Day
International Mother Language Day was proclaimed by the General Conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) on 17 November 1999 and has been observed throughout the world since 21 February 2000. The day was initiated as a tribute to the Language Movement done by the Bangladeshis.
The date represents the day when four young students were killed in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh due to the Bengali and Urdu language controversy. International Mother Language Day is celebrated all over the world and is a public holiday in Bangladesh.
An International Mother Language Day monument was constructed at Ashfield Park in Sydney, Australia as a tribute to the four young lives lost on that day. The observance of the day every year is a reminder of the sacrifice the young lives had made in their fight against the dilapidated condition of language diversity.
On this day, UNESCO and other UN agencies take part in the events to promote cultural and linguistic diversity all around the world.
Theme Of International Mother Language Day
The 2020 theme is ‘Languages without borders’. The 2020 International Mother Language Day edition will contribute to promoting peaceful dialogue and social inclusion. The theme is developed with the aim of creating an understanding on the recognition of and respect for linguistic and cultural diversity which contribute to strengthening the unity and cohesion of societies.
At least 43 per cent of the estimated 6000 languages spoken in the world are endangered and the day adheres to creating awareness on the importance of language and how it impacts growth.
- National Dog Day 2020: History And How To Celebrate This Day
- India Republic Day 2021: History, importance, significance and why is it celebrate
- Amazon's Prime Day 2020 will take place Oct. 13-14
- Google celebrates India's republic Day with 'Unity' Doodle; Meet this Mumbai-based artist
- Happy Republic Day 2021: Images, Quotes, Wishes, Messages, Greetings, Pictures, Cards and GIFs
- Of Rose Gold, Rubies, And Diamonds, Make Your Valentine's Day Gift Special With Kalyan Jewellers
- 'Insult to Tricolour on R-Day is unfortunate': President Kovind
- International Insider: The Big Production Bounceback; Oscar Contenders; Brits Blitz Golden Globes; India’s Cinema Recovery
- International Insider: Festivals Dance To Covid’s Beat; Sky Originals Unpicked; Broke And Bones Scoop; Damning Diversity Data
- World Cancer Day 2021: Facts, history and significance of the deadly disease
- Valentine's Day: 18 Things Singles Can Do On This Day
- 2021 Int’l World Education Day: We demand 20% budgetary allocation on education — ActionAid
- Asia Cup 2020: Asian Cricket Council defers decision, to wait for ICC's call on T20 World Cup
- Datta Jayanti 2020: आज है दत्तात्रेय जयंती, जानिए पूजा-विधि और महत्व
- World Cancer Day (4 February): Decline In Women Cancer Screening Due to COVID-19 Fear
- World Cancer Day: Decline In Cancer Screening Due To COVID-19 Fear
- Oscars: A Preview Of Top Contenders For The International Feature Film Shortlist – Part Two
- Oscars: Previewing Top Contenders For The International Feature Shortlist – Part One
- TIFF 2020 kicks off a strange start to the Oscars race
- 'We must use days like this to learn from the past' Survivors in Britain who escaped Nazi Germany light candles and pay poignant tributes to victims as they mark Holocaust Memorial Day
International Mother Language Day 2020: History, Theme And Importance have 571 words, post on www.boldsky.com at February 21, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.