Organised crime is being blamed for a rise in illegal metal-detecting at heritage sites, including one of England’s finest medieval castles and the battlefield of Hastings. English Heritage said December last year was the worst month for such incidents in more than four years and there were more than double the number of incidents in 2019 as there were in 2017. In some cases there were up to 100 holes where the illegal metal detectorists – known as nighthawkers – had dug up the soil. “How many of those are productive we just don’t know,” said Win Scutt, a properties curator and archaeologist at English Heritage. The organisation is calling on members of the public to become its “eyes and ears” and report suspicious activity to the police. However, after some violent incidents it advised people not to confront nighthawkers. Scutt said it was not only about artefacts being dug up, taken and presumably sold. “It is the damage to the sites. They are destroying the archaeological record. You can compare it to a scene of crime and seeing a knife and a gun and thinking: ‘I’ll be helpful, I’ll take them along to the police,’ and they say: ‘You’ve… Read full this story
Illegal metal-detecting at English Heritage sites doubles in two years have 212 words, post on www.theguardian.com at February 28, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.