It could be said that writer and director Michael Winterbottom and star Steve Coogan have created a monster in the character of fashion mogul Sir Richard McCreadie. Except, it becomes clear, “Greedy” McCreadie is not a character that needed to be invented. He exists already: McCreadie is barely even a thinly disguised version of Philip Green. And, as far as this lurid portrait is concerned, he has no redeeming features whatsoever. This may well be an entirely accurate appraisal of the man’s character, but it doesn’t make for a particularly nuanced piece of cinema. That said, the brash, gung-ho approach makes sense with the showy, win-at-all-costs personality of the man, with his veneered killer smile and casual cruelty. What is less successful is the film’s scattergun assault on other issues – I am not sure that the plight of Syrian refugees, for example, invites the same broad satirical slicing as the grasping head of a retail empire. Still, the film – an account of the run up to Sir Richard’s lavish, Gladiator-themed 60th birthday celebrations on the Greek island of Mykonos, spliced together with flashbacks and interviews (with a bumbling biographer played by David Mitchell) – is as rambunctiously entertaining… Read full this story
- Greed review – Steve Coogan gleams in knockabout satire of the mega-rich
- Sundance film festival 2013: The Look of Love - first look review
- Walks the Line Between Satire and Horror
- How Hitler satire uses 'comedy' to combat 'hate'
- How ‘Steve Jobs’ Survived the Sony Hack
- ‘Downsizing’ Review: Honey, I Shrunk the Matt Damon!
- Pregnant Jenna Dewan's Boyfriend Steve Kazee Just Proved He's Her Absolute No. 1 Fan
- Rob Gronkowski Spiking a LEGO Bust of Steve Harvey on New Year's Eve Leaves Social Media Rolling
- Knighthoods for directors Sam Mendes and Steve McQueen
- ‘Ghost Stories’ review: Subtext than spooks
Greed review – Steve Coogan entertains in broad satire have 303 words, post on www.theguardian.com at February 23, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.