Email Foreign Correspondent By Eric Campbell in Germany Posted February 18, 2020 05:52:43 Photo: Germany has struck a deal to retire its remaining brown coal mines and power plants. (Reuters: Hannibal Hanschke) Related Story: The future of coal has already been decided in boardrooms around the globe Related Story: Barnaby Joyce and his band of rebels want more coal and this battle is not just about cheap power Related Story: Adani beware: coal is on the road to becoming completely uninsurable Related Story: World’s biggest investment firm ditches coal in ‘fundamental reshaping of finance’ Map: Germany Deep underground in Germany’s Ruhr valley, Uwe Seeger plunges a drill into the black earth just as thousands of coal miners in this region have done before him. “My grandpa did it like this, we used it like this to destroy the big stones,” he tells Foreign Correspondent.Black coal mines like this one in Essen, which opened its first shaft in 1875, once fired the furnaces that made Germany the economic powerhouse of Europe.But this is no longer a working mine — it’s a museum, set up by Mr Seeger and some other former miners to show tourists how life once was in Germany’s… Read full this story
- BASF to shut down Zachary chemical plant, affecting 54 workers
- Dairy industry working hard to find workers
- Domestic supplies to meet 35% of coking coal requirement by 2031
- S K Gomasta takes over as director technical at Coal India’s exploration arm
- Colombian coal output fell 2 per cent in 2019
- Collinsville: the Queensland town on the frontline of the coal wars
- West Virginia Coal Mine Owners Have Blood on Their Hands
- Europe scrambles to contain coronavirus: France and Germany warn of the 'start of an epidemic' as Denmark and Estonia confirm first cases
- Coal-fired power plants closing at near-record pace: report
- Law Society slams proposed industrial manslaughter legislation for senior mine employees as 'harsh and unjust'
Germany is shutting down its coal industry for good, so far without sacking a single worker have 318 words, post on www.abc.net.au at February 18, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.