Every Saturday, I visit my local market to stock up on affordable, local, seasonal vegetables. It’s a way of shopping that reduces farm and post farm-gate waste, because it means farmers can sell what they need to while also shortening the food chain and minimising opportunities for waste that occur when food changes hands between middlemen. But if I’ve had a busy week, or get overexcited at the market, I often end up with veg to use up at the end of the week. One of my favourite ways to do so is kimchi. This traditional Korean ferment, most commonly made with Chinese leaf and daikon, can be made with just about any vegetable, especially seasonal greens, roots and other bits and bobs from the crisper drawer. Vegan veg scrap kimchi Kimchi is powerful stuff and an acquired taste, but once you’ve developed a liking for it, there’s no going back. It contains probiotics and good bacteria that support the gut, which in turn keeps our immune system in check. It is utterly delicious served as a condiment, fried with rice, or added to an omelette or broth to give it a savoury kick. Here, I’ve used a little hijiki… Read full this story
- Kim Jong-un Manages ‘Industrial Production of Kimchi’ While U.S. Awaits ‘Christmas Gift’
- Recipe: Namu Gaji’s Kimchi Fried Rice
- Holland: Where Things Go After the Recycling Bin
- Saigon’s downtown turns into sea of garbage after Lunar New Year’s Eve
- Official 'was offered $40,000' after Mohamed bin Hammam presentation
- Kulfi Kumar Bajewala-Nazar Promo SHOCK Fans; Sikandar Turns Davansh!
- Four men rob Pinjore scrap dealer of ₹20,000 at gunpoint, flee after opening fire at cops
- Plan to change historic port's welcome signs featuring its nickname 'Little White Town' over fears it is racist are to be scrapped
- Climate change affecting vegetable crops in Canberra region for backyard gardeners, farmers alike
Don't bin vegetable scraps: turn them into kimchi have 321 words, post on www.theguardian.com at February 22, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.