|Officials say China could start clinical trials for a coronavirus vaccine as early as late April. (Photo: AFP)|
Public and private researchers around the world have been working to develop treatments and vaccines to combat the COVID-19 virus that first emerged in central China in December.
More than 2,200 people have died and more than 75,000 have been infected by it in China. Another 11 people died abroad, with some 1,100 infections in around 25 countries.
“Several research teams were trying different techniques to develop a potential vaccine, and the earliest vaccine is expected to be submitted for clinical trials around late April,” Xu Nanping, vice science and technology minister, told a press briefing.
China’s vaccine development and research is currently “basically in step with other countries”, he added.
The World Health Organization said on Tuesday it could take a year or longer for a vaccine to become available.
“The vaccine could be the long-term because it could take up to 12 to 18 months and this is like preparing for the worst situation,” said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
China is currently using five different approaches to develop the vaccine to curb the spread of the virus, said Zeng Yixin, deputy director of China’s National Health Commission.
These include using inactivated coronavirus to produce a vaccine, using genetic engineering to mass-produce proteins that could act as antigens for the novel coronavirus or modifying existing vaccines for influenza, Zeng said.
“At present, some projects have entered the stage of animal testing,” he said.
Scientists in the US announced Wednesday they had created the first 3D atomic-scale map of the part of the novel coronavirus that attaches to and infects human cells, a critical step toward developing vaccines and treatments.
- China says 2.7 trillion is more than 2.9 trillion. Don’t ask why
- Trial starting in false-rape case involving football players
- China Says All Trade Progress Is Off If U.S. Imposes Tariffs
- China says N Korean leader Kim Jong Un visiting Beijing
- China says carrier group reaches 'initial' combat capability
- All trade progress is off if US imposes tariffs, China says
- Trial Starting In False-Rape Case Involving Sacred Heart University Football Players
- College basketball: New FGCU men's coach Michael Fly says 2018-19 schedule coming together
- China's vaccine tourists drain Hong Kong's supply of cancer drug
- U.S. sends B-52 bombers ‘in vicinity’ of South China Sea amid row over militarization of islets
- Vaccinating kids against two killer diseases crucial
- Foreign funds desert China as emerging market fever spreads
- China’s massive ‘magic island-maker’ dredging vessel completes sea trials
- Near-Collapse of ZTE May Be China’s Sputnik Moment
- Home/ PeopleBuilding healthcare in China
- Nixon in China: Lessons for North Korea?
- Improving our trade with China is a major step on the path to prosperity
- A Boulder company fighting Chinese knockoffs points to little-known culprit: China can ship packages for $1.42
- Former chairman of China's Anbang appeals fraud conviction
- China seen flexing loan muscle as it pushes farther into Pacific, tentacles reach Papua New Guinea
China says COVID-19 vaccine trials to start around late April have 479 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at February 22, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.