German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she would not interfere in the search for the next Christian Democratic Union (CDU) candidate. “I won’t interfere in the issue of who will lead the CDU in the future or who will be the candidate for chancellor,” Merkel told a news conference. Read more: Merkel’s party struggles with identity crisis in wake of CDU leader’s departure Watch video 00:57 AKK: ‘I will accompany the process of finding a candidate for chancellorship’ The announcement follows the resignation of Merkel’s previously tipped successor, Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer. Kramp-Karrenbauer announced that she would step down after a state premier was elected with the backing of the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party and the CDU in the eastern state of Thuringia. She also gave up her ambitions for running as party chair, as she said she believed one person should do both, which had been standard practice before she took over as chair. Read more: Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer — a battle is won, but the war isn’t over The party is now scrambling to find a new candidate for the post. Potentials include Norbert Röttgen, the head of the Bundestag’s foreign affairs committee and a former environment minister under Merkel; Armin Laschet, the premier of Germany’s… Read full this story
- Angela Merkel's succession plan is in tatters. Who runs Germany next is anyone's guess
- Opinion: What awaits CDU and Germany after Angela Merkel?
- Could Angela Merkel's CDU make a turn to the right?
- Angela Merkel's party demands new vote after regional politician is elected with support from far-right AfD in move that has shocked Germany
- Angela Merkel lambasts her party's cooperation with far-right AfD
- Angela Merkel to step down as Chancellor after 2021
- Angela Merkel admits mistakes over asylum seekers after disastrous election
- Is Angela Merkel’s exit strategy shaping German refugee policy?
- Angela Merkel comforts sobbing refugee but says Germany can't help everyone
- Angela Merkel to focus on migration, trade on trip to South Africa, Angola
Angela Merkel says she won't interfere in search for CDU successor have 335 words, post on www.dw.com at February 19, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.