(CNN)Senate Republicans are wrestling with a momentous dilemma over whether to call witnesses in Donald Trump’s trial in a closed-door tussle that risks antagonizing the President and fueling Democrat claims of a cover-up. Revelations from former national security adviser John Bolton that could bolster evidence that Trump pressured Ukraine for electoral favors are jolting GOP hopes for an swift impeachment acquittal and may hike the political costs of such a vote. Most Republican senators are agitating for the chance to vote to clear Trump of impeachable offenses, but a handful of their colleagues are still agonizing, beset by unique political factors or a battle with their consciences. GOP senators met soon after Trump’s legal team rested its defense on Tuesday to try to find a way out of a morass. A source in the room said Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told his troops he still did not have sufficient votes to block the Democrats’ demand for witnesses. The news was the first sign that the band of Republicans open to hearing from Bolton especially might be larger than the three or so senators who have said all along they are considering such an option — though who those GOP lawmakers… Read full this story
- Don't expect quick end to US-China trade war, top White House official warns
- The Latest: Testimony ends in trial over disputed Nazi art
- Former CBS Chief Les Moonves to Fight for $120 Million Severance
- Houston doctor charged in murder-for-hire plot goes to trial
- Why Donald Trump won't be impeached
- Trump won’t be impeached, but can he be indicted?
- Will Trump Resign If He’s Impeached or Indicted? Amid Mueller Probe, Some See Echoes of Nixon
- Berks County judge to decide whether convicted killer gets new trial
- Dems should give thoughts of impeachment a pass
- Editorial: Dems should give thoughts of impeachment a pass
Witness fight threatens quick ending to impeachment trial have 301 words, post on edition.cnn.com at January 29, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.