UNDER THE SPANISH MOSS and live oaks of Skidaway Island, a suburb of Savannah, the Oyster Roast, a barbecue-cum-fund-raiser for the University of Georgia, is winding down and politics is raising its ugly head. “When we first came here,” says Allen Blount, a businessman from Jacksonville, “we were the only Democrats for miles around, and had to keep quiet about it. Now we’ve discovered a network of secret Democrats, but we still keep quiet so as not to upset our Republican friends.” Skidaway is majority Republican. Ten miles north, in a precinct of downtown Savannah, Hillary Clinton won 98% of the vote. Almost next door, in the suburb of Bloomingdale, Donald Trump won over 80%. “It’s still red versus blue,” says Mr Blount, “but everything is more complicated.” And not only in suburban Savannah. More than half of votes in 2020 will probably be suburban ones. It is hard to be precise because America has no standard definition of suburbs, and definitions matter. Some people classify them as areas dominated by single-family homes and commuting by car, but that is not how the Census Bureau does things. Data on jobs, ethnicity and education are gathered by county; America has just… Read full this story
- 2020 House races: The House seats Democrats and GOP are trying to flip in 2020
- 5 things to know for July 7: Coronavirus, election, Supreme Court, Hong Kong, police
- Stacey Abrams Is the Only Vice Presidential Pick for Joe Biden. Here’s Why.
- Biden seeks to supplant Trump in Georgia
- George Floyd Protests: How US Presidents Have Dealt With Race Riots Over the Years
- The Hill's Campaign Report: Bad polling data is piling up for Trump
- Gun-toting restaurateur upsets 5-term Colorado congressman
- Trump could sink the House GOP in suburbia
- Primary results: 4 takeaways from Colorado, Utah and Oklahoma
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Trump wants schools to reopen, challenged on 'harmless' COVID-19 remark
The 2020 presidential election will be decided in the suburbs have 309 words, post on www.economist.com at January 4, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.