It was early summer, and I was on the verge of turning 40. I found myself entertaining a recurring daydream of escaping from time. I would be hustling my son out the door to get him to school, or walking briskly to work on the day of a deadline, or castigating myself for being online when I should have been methodically and efficiently putting words on paper, and I would have this vision of myself as a character in a video game discovering a secret level. This vision was informed by the platform games I loved as a child – Super Mario Bros, Sonic the Hedgehog and so on – in which the character you controlled moved across the screen from left to right through a scrolling landscape, encountering obstacles and adversaries as you progressed to the end of the level. In this daydream, I would see myself pushing against a wall or lowering myself down the yawning mouth of a pipe, and thereby discovering this secret level, this hidden chamber where I could exist for a time outside of time, where the clock was not forever running down to zero. My relationship with time had always been characterised by… Read full this story
- Strong IMSA Contingent Set For 24 Hours Of Le Mans
- Jacky Ickx – Grand Marshall at 86th 24 Hours of Le Mans
- Balance of Performance (BoP) Released for the 24 Hours of Le Mans
- Uttarakhand: 295 forest fire incidents in 24 hours wreak havoc, CM Trivendra Rawat reprimands officials for 'lack of preparedness'
- Pit Lane At The Nürburgring 24 Hours Is The Most Intense, Chaotic Place I've Ever Been
- FRAMES: Shooting The Spa 24 Hour
- Manthey Racing Porsche Wins The Nürburgring 24 Hours After An Intense Final-Hour Battle
- Rich's 24-Hour Product Diary: Who Can Never Be Sure?
- The Nürburgring 24 Hours Is Too Incredible To Miss So Here's How To Watch
- Holy Crap, I'm At The Nürburgring 24 Hours To Overload Every Sense With Good Cars
Splendid isolation: how I stopped time by sitting in a forest for 24 hours have 320 words, post on www.theguardian.com at January 24, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.