The announcement came late on Monday night. Africa’s most industrialized economy and a nation of 57 million people, will to go into a nationwide lockdown for 21 days starting Thursday. South African President Cyril Ramaphosa announced the measures in Rwanda’s lockdown , which preceded the South Africa’s and was the first on the continent, sent people into a buying frenzy. Although scheduled to last two weeks, many Rwandans think the measures will be prolonged. As of now, Rwanda has 19 confirmed cases of COVID-19 , the highest number in East Africa. The lockdown includes many businesses deemed non-essential. The move has caused widespread worry and uncertainty among Rwandans about how they will manage to feed their families. Patricia Uwineza is a single mother who runs a small hair salon in Kigali. “I am yet to negotiate with the bank to hold on but at home we are already running out of groceries,” she told DW. “As a single mum, I must provide for a home of four people so you can imagine how tough the situation is becoming.” Kagame: Hero or villain? The closures also threaten to leave many people jobless in a country where employment is mostly informal. Another result of… Read full this story
- Meghan Markle will speak out on 'gender violence' when she arrives in South Africa next week with Prince Harry for a nine-day official visit
- SAP admits misconduct in South Africa Gupta deals
- US blacklists S Africa's Gupta family over 'widespread corruption'
- Africa Calling
- Surf Africa
- World View: China Deploys Cruise and Surface-to-Air Missiles in South China Sea
- Showtime announces premiere dates of ‘Homeland’ season 6, ‘Billions’ season 2
- President Trump welcomes 3 Americans freed by North Korea
- Africa Finds Power Off the Grid
- White House insiders say this is the most dangerous phase of Trump's presidency so far — and they don't know what he'll do next
South Africa to go into lockdown on Thursday, President Ramaphosa announces have 299 words, post on www.dw.com at January 23, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.