It is time to roll up the red carpet at the Bafta awards next month? Stephen Fry, who hosted the film jamboree for 12 years until 2017, suggests that all the attention lavished on the arrival of guests is overshadowing the actual awards ceremony.
‘The phenomenon of the arrivals and interviews on the red carpet began to grow and grow every year until it threatened to be more important than the ceremony itself,’ Fry says.
‘That element ended up having its own producer and presenters covering celebrity and fashion.
‘When I asked the director, “How long is the carpet?”, she replied, without thinking, “Oh, it’s about 50 minutes this year”.’
Stephen Fry, pictured, hosted the Baftas for 12 years until 2017 and has noticed how the amount of time devoted to celebrities arriving on the red carpet has increased dramatically
Stars slowly make their way down the red carpet, often stopping for interviews to discuss the clothes they are wearing
According to Fry, when he asked the director about the length of this year’s carpet, the comedian said they replied ‘about 50 minutes’
If you haven’t had your fill of Harry and Meghan, how about a three-course meal in their honour?
M restaurant in the City of London is offering a £65-a- head Megxit ‘menu without judgment’, specialising in British and Canadian cuisine, to mark their move abroad.
It includes a starter of Canadian crab, a choice of sirloin steak and a pear, rhubarb and ginger crumble for dessert.
That’s one bit of Megxit that isn’t half-baked.
Solo Donna clocks up some air miles in the sunshine
Life’s a beach for actress Donna Air. Following a tumultuous 2019, in which she split from her live-in boyfriend, property developer Ben Carrington, the 40-year-old has started this year off with a holiday in the Maldives.
The mother of one, who is soon to star in the second series of legal drama The Split, stayed at a five-star resort where she enjoyed margaritas, meditation and scuba diving — a timely reminder to Donna, who once dated the Duchess of Cambridge’s brother, James Middleton, that there are plenty more fish in the sea.
Donna Air, pictured on the beach in The Maldives, will soon star in the second season of the legal drama The Split
The perils of having a fashion show in mid-winter! Gigi Hadid, 24, failed to exude her customary poise and glamour as she waited for her turn on the catwalk in Paris.
Putting on a spectacle of a different kind, she wrapped up in a gold foil blanket to keep the chill out — not a look that will likely catch on — before hitting the runway.
Model Gigi Hadid, centre, looked less than glamourous standing wearing a foil blanket awaiting her turn on a Paris catwalk earlier this week
Playing a princess is Helena’s cup of tea
Members of the Royal Family have had little cause to smile of late.
But life is evidently more agreeable for Helena Bonham Carter, who is in Winchester filming The Crown, in which she plays Princess Margaret. Yesterday saw a re-enactment of one of the most sombre chapters in recent royal history: the funeral of Lord Mountbatten.
That didn’t prevent a smile stealing across Helena’s face as she relaxed with a cup of tea between takes.
Helena Bonham Carter was photographed during a break in filming for The Crown where she is playing Princess Margaret
She may present TV’s Best Home Cook alongside Mary Berry, but Claudia Winkleman is no domestic goddess. ‘I can’t make pastry so Mary decided to teach me — quite a few times. It didn’t work so I just buy it.’ Is she really the right woman for the job?
- Stephen Fry: Facebook and other platforms should be classed as publishers
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: The curse of Profumo strikes as BBC bosses get the jitters over all-star drama
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Going... going... gone: Sotheby's boss Lord Dalmeny, 51, and his ex-model live-in lover, 39, Martha Sitwell split up
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Miranda Hart praises Meghan Markle for speaking about her woes in ITV documentary - after revealing her own battle with anxiety
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Commons Speaker John Bercow bags three foreign jollies in a month, with trips to Europe and America allowing him to enjoy £5,000 worth of hospitality
- It's tin hats on for Queen's Nato celebrations! SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE reveals the monarch's tricky guest list... including Donald Trump and Turkey's President Erdogan
- Fancy being neighbours with Bill Nighy, Stephen Fry and Judy Dench? This striking six-storey 'castle' near picturesque town of Aldeburgh and a host of A-list celebrities is yours for £1 million
- Windows Phone 7 launch is a six-phone Stephen Fry-up
- Reddit sees red over proposed net neutrality changes
- Samsung Galaxy S3 to see red in crimson case