SportsLine’s advanced computer model simulated Thursday’s Ohio State vs. Minnesota game 10,000 times.
It’s the second meeting of the season between Big Ten foes when the Minnesota Golden Gophers (10-8) travel to Columbus to face the Ohio State Buckeyes (12-6) on Thursday night. The teams met in Minneapolis on Dec. 15, when the Gophers surprised then third-ranked Ohio State 84-71 to end the Buckeyes’ season-opening win streak at nine. OSU rebounded to win two in a row, even beating then No. 6 Kentucky, but has been in free-fall since.
The Buckeyes have lost five of their last six to come in 12-6, while the Golden Gophers are 10-8 after winning six of their last nine. Tip-off is set for 6:30 p.m. ET at Value City Arena. The Buckeyes are eight-point favorites in the latest Ohio State vs. Minnesota odds, while the over-under for total points scored is 134. Before considering any Minnesota vs. Ohio State picks or college basketball predictions, make sure to see what the proven SportsLine Projection Model has to say.
This model, which simulates every game 10,000 times, has crushed its top-rated college basketball picks against the spread the past three years, returning $2,770 to $100 players. It also enters Week 12 of the 2019-20 season on a 6-2 run on top-rated college basketball picks. Anybody who followed it during that span has seen some handsome returns.
- Ohio State vs. Minnesota spread: Buckeyes -8
- Ohio State vs. Minnesota over-under: 134
- Ohio State vs. Minnesota money line: Buckeyes -353 , Golden Gophers +269
- OSU: F Andre Wesson has made 12 of 20 3-pointers over the past five games.
- MINN: C Daniel Oturu is averaging 25 points over the past three games.
Why Ohio State can cover
The home team is 16-5 against the spread in the last 21 meetings between these teams, and despite their struggles, the Buckeyes are playing solid defense. They allow only 61.6 points per game, and opponents are shooting just 37.8 percent from the field, which ranks 17th in the nation. The Buckeyes also pull down 38.5 rebounds per game, with 27.9 on the defensive end. Forward Kaleb Wesson leads OSU with 9.3 boards per game, and he also blocks 1.2 shots.
The Buckeyes are 7-3 against the spread in Columbus this season, and Wesson also leads the team in scoring at 14.7 points per game. Freshman D.J. Carton scores 10.1 and dishes out 3.1 assists, and fellow guard Duane Washington scores 11.3 per game.
Why Minnesota can cover
Even so, the Buckeyes aren’t a lock to cover the Ohio State vs. Minnesota spread. The Golden Gophers are 5-1 against the spread in their last six games following a straight-up loss, and they come in off a 64-56 setback to now 24th-ranked Rutgers on Sunday. Oturu scored 19 points in that game, just shy of his team-leading 20.2 average. The 6-foot-10 sophomore averages a double-double, ranking sixth in the country in grabbing 11.9 rebounds per game, and he blocks 2.8 shots per contest, which is 18th in the nation.
Sophomore Marcus Carr also is a star for the Golden Gophers, who have covered the spread in five of their last six Thursday games. The point guard is 10th in the country with 10.2 assists per contest, and he also averages 16.1 points and 5.2 rebounds.
How to make Ohio State vs. Minnesota picks
We can tell you that the model is leaning over, and it also has generated an against-the-spread pick that cashes in more than 50 percent of simulations. You can only get the pick at SportsLine.
So who wins Minnesota vs. Ohio State? And which side of the spread is hitting more than 50 percent of the time? Visit SportsLine now to see which side of the Ohio State vs. Minnesota spread to jump on Thursday, all from the advanced model that has returned more than $2,700 on its top-rated college basketball picks, and find out.
CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter
Get the best highlights and stories – yeah, just the good stuff handpicked by our team to start your day.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
This early-season moment might help explain why the Kansas vs. Kansas State fight happened
The Big 12 passed down its punishments stemming from Tuesday night’s fight in Lawrence
Also, watch SportsLine on CBS Sports HQ live at 6 p.m. ET for all today’s best bets
De Sousa was prominently involved in Tuesday night’s brawl and is suspended pending further…
A new NCAA rule forced Kansas and K-State to finish out Tuesday’s game after a full-fledged…
How will the committee evaluate Kansas if it is decimated by suspensions? Bracketology Expert…
- Breaking down #9 Ohio State at #17 Michigan
- The Final 4 for the 2007 NCAA Tourney - Florida, Ohio State, UCLA & Georgetown
- Top 3 College Football Picks for the Weekend
- 2006 Ohio State Buckeyes Season Predictions
- SportGamble.us Picks this Year's College Football Bowl Games
- NCAA College Football Point Spread Picks Week 5
- NCAA College Football Week 4 Picks
- College Football Handicapping Information With In-Depth Analysis-Week 1 Picks
- Ness Notes (Heisman Update / College Hoops Begin)
- Hesiman Trophy Top-10 (Monday, October 23)
- Barring a turnout surge, strong economy favors Trump in 2020, researchers say
- The Big Ten Report - College Game of the Year Edition
- Run It Up College Coaches
- College Football - Washington's Defense Makes Road Kill of Boise State With a Stunning 24-10 Upset
- College Football Week #10: Where Is Frank Solich?
- College Football - Surviving an Upset Loss - A 12 Step Plan For the Over Dedicated Fan
- Moody’s Election Models Predict Trump Will Crush Democrat in 2020
- Early Picks and Observations
- A Look in College Football's Rear View Mirror - The Worst of 2006
- College Football Week #11: Big Ten Bruisers
Ohio State vs. Minnesota odds, line: 2020 college basketball picks, Jan. 23 predictions from model on 6-2 run have 1074 words, post on www.cbssports.com at January 23, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.