The offer was made as part of the deal to restore the North of Ireland’s Stormont but earlier the UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the government had made “huge commitments” as part of the deal, without revealing a specific number. Irish filmmaker Sean Murray discusses how the Northern Ireland had changed in the last three years without a functioning parliament. Sputnik: In the three years since Ireland had a functioning Parliament, what has changed in the North of Ireland? Sean Murray: I think Brexit has re-energised the question of Irish unification and has for the first time platform discussions between modern unionists about how a new Ireland could be envisaged. I also think that unionists have come to realise that those who are subscribed to an Irish identity will never allow unionism to resort to its sectarian policies in the past. One of the main reasons why the assembly was pulled by Martin McGuinness was the DUPs refusal to grant an Irish Language Act. That was something that was negotiated as part of the St. Andrews Agreement. Sputnik: From your point of view, what are the first things that the newly reopened Stormont parliament needs to address in Northern… Read full this story
- Forgiveness plays central and necessary part in Northern Ireland reconciliation says Irish president
- Varadkar: Northern Ireland should be the 'best of both worlds'
- Stella Creasy References The Handmaid's Tale During Impassioned Plea To Liberalise Abortion In Northern Ireland
- Brian M Walker: What Northern Ireland politicians could learn from Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un
- MPs hear no Brexit deal ‘off the table’ after commitment to no hard border in Northern Ireland
- Northern Ireland women may be allowed to have abortions in the Republic
- What Does The Irish Abortion Referendum Mean For Northern Ireland?
- DUP leader threatens to pull support for May Government over special Northern Ireland deal
- Joint UK/EU status and border buffer zone for Northern Ireland under consideration in new Brexit plans
- DUP leader threatens to bring down Government over special Northern Ireland Brexit deal
'Northern Ireland Can Never Trust the Tories" – Irish Filmmaker have 333 words, post on sputniknews.com at January 15, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.