Mikel Arteta hailed Arsenal’s fight after they twice recovered from a goal down to snatch a point against Chelsea, whose failure to take advantage of David Luiz’s early red card infuriated Frank Lampard. A stunning goal from Gabriel Martinelli and a late equaliser by Héctor Bellerín were enough for Arsenal to earn a 2-2 draw on a wild night at Stamford Bridge. Arsenal played with 10 men for more than an hour after David Luiz was sent off against his former side and Chelsea’s difficulties increased when Tammy Abraham suffered an ankle injury in the build-up to Bellerín’s goal. Chelsea remain fourth but Manchester United will go three points behind them if they beat Burnley on Wednesday. Lampard was furious. Jorginho put Chelsea in front with a penalty after an error from Shkodran Mustafi led to David Luiz fouling Abraham but Arteta was delighted with Arsenal’s response to adversity. “The spirit, character, fight and leadership was there,” Arsenal’s manager said. “When someone makes a mistake and someone has to take a red card for him it can happen. What has to happen is you have to stand up for him and every single player did that. If you put in… Read full this story
- Eredivisie round-up: PSV Eindhoven held by 10-man Vitesse
- Monaco brush aside 10-man St Etienne to close gap on PSG
- Slovenia beats 10-man Algeria 1-0 for first-ever World Cup, will face United States on Friday
- World Cup 2010: Greece beats 10-man Nigeria, 2-1, for first win
- New Mexico man gets in brawl while watching UFC fight, bites off man’s fingertip: cops
- Fight continues for man eyed in 6 slays
- 10-man Genoa hold on for surprise draw at Napoli
- 10-man U.S. concedes another late goal, settles for 1-1 draw with Switzerland
- Everton 1-0 Arsenal: Phil Jagielka gives Man Utd and Chelsea renewed top-four hopes
- Did Man Utd miss out on 'new Ronaldo' Martinelli?
Mikel Arteta hails ‘spirit, fight and leadership’ of 10-man Arsenal have 324 words, post on www.theguardian.com at January 22, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.