Love Island fans are convinced that the editors of the show took a sly swipe at contestant Paige Turley after she was abandoned by Ollie Williams who quit the show after realising he was still in love with his ex-girlfriend.
The Saturday night highlights episode of the hit ITV2 show shared behind-the-scenes moments and unaired clips from the past week of action inside the villa – which included the dramatic moments Ollie, 23, opted to quit the show.
And while the Cornish reality star walked out of the South African villa for the last time, music played over his scene – that fans were quick to note was Someone You Loved by Scottish singer-songwriter Lewis Capaldi.
Fans of the reality romance show are well aware that Paige, 21, (who had been coupled with Ollie) used to date chart topping star Lewis, 23 – and many reckon the track was played a as a subtle dig at Paige who reportedly cheated on Lewis with one of his best friends before she attempted to find fresh romance on Love Island.
Fans took to Twitter to mock the on-screen moment, with one tweeting: “@LewisCapaldi playing when Paige is on the screen is the best thing on love island so far,” along with a crying-with-laughter emoji.
“Someone You Loved has just been played on Love Island Best bits (the part when Ollie left),” mocked another.
“This editing team playing Lewis Capaldi are so sly,” wrote another fan – with more crying-with-laughing emojis.
While a more sympathetic viewer tweeted: “These people are out of order playing Lewis Capaldi over Paige getting left by Ollie.”
Paige was making headlines before she even entered Love Island after it was first revealed she used to date Lewis – with many realising his heartache inspired music was telling the story of his failed romance with the Scottish reality hopeful.
Things were intensified when it was uncovered that Paige had cheated on Lewis with his close friend, Garry Greig – with sources saying Lewis would be even more heartbroken when he learned the truth.
Meanwhile, Love Island quitter Ollie has been embroiled in headlines for completely different reasons – after viewers expressed outrage after photos were uncovered showing him posing with wild animals he had shot dead.
The future Lord has since defended himself saying he shot wildlife as part of a culling exercise – but many reality fans are unsatisfied with his reasoning.
Love Island continues on Sunday night on ITV2 at 9pm.
- Laura Whitmore 'has secret meeting with Love Island bosses about BFF Caroline Flack's job'... (which could see her working alongside her voiceover boyfriend Iain Stirling!)
- Love Island tonight – Why isn’t it on ITV2 on Saturdays and when is Unseen Bits?
- ITV accused of 'double standards' as Caroline Flack is forced to quit Love Island despite bosses supporting Ant McPartlin over drink-drive scandal
- Love Island's Arabella Chi shows off her toned and tanned legs in a chic satin mini-dress as she makes a club appearance in Harrogate
- 'His type on paper': Love Island star Curtis' ex girlfriend Emily Barker looks remarkably similar to new romantic interest Amy
- Love Island bosses PULL advert featuring Caroline Flack and replace it with original teaser... after former host quit amid assault charge
- Love Island EXCLUSIVE: ITV gears up to announce Laura Whitmore WILL replace Caroline Flack as presenter... and she and voiceover boyfriend Iain Stirling will co-host Aftersun together
- Love Island EXCLUSIVE: 'It needs a change!' Ex-contestant Georgia Harrison thinks Caroline Flack's exit from the show WON'T affect the success of the winter series
- Love Island bosses 'leaving the door FIRMLY open for Caroline Flack to return' as she steps down from ONE season of show amid assault charge
- Lewis Capaldi takes major swipe at Camila Cabello as he refused to work with her