There is a meme doing the rounds in which Prince Harry, instead of cuddling up to Meghan, is embracing Yoko Ono. You may find this hilarious. Yoko broke up the Beatles; Meghan is now ripping apart the royals. I find it racist, sexist, untrue and a sign of how little we understand our own prejudices, and those of our rulers. Yoko is a brilliant artist in her own right. She was also, if you care to remember, described at the time as “simian-looking” by John Lennon’s biographer Albert Goldman. She faced an enormous amount of racism. No one is that explicit about Meghan. Instead we have toddlerish waffle about her “exotic DNA” and her unbearable wokeness, which is clearly worse for the royal family than having someone accused of having sex with a 17-year-old in your midst (which Prince Andrew denies). One of the most excruciating things about all this is who gets to define racism, and it’s the likes of Piers Morgan and Sarah Vine, who refuse to understand either racism or indeed humility. They don’t even work hard for the money. Lazy, sloppy, big-bucks bigotry. The indisputable racism in media reports was toned down at first because Meghan’s… Read full this story
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry spent Thanksgiving with 'close family' on a 'long trip to Meghan's home in the US', royal correspondents reveal
- Prince Charles 'plans to strip back the royals to just William, Harry and their wives and children when he becomes King' in the wake of Andrew scandal as Jeremy Corbyn says the family is 'too big'
- Is this the diet that helped Prince Harry lose weight before the royal wedding?
- Celebrity daily edit: Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton join royal family to honour Commonwealth Day - video
- Adorable photos of Prince Harry, Princess Beatrice plus other royals on their first day of school as Princess Charlotte prepares to start St Thomas’
- Meghan Markle, Kate Middleton Shine In Royal Family Portraits In Honor Of Prince Charles’ 70th Birthday
- Sophie Wessex turns heads in jumpsuit to Ladies' Day at Royal Ascot
- Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton's Relationship Somehow Sounds More Complicated Than Ever
- Are Harry and Meghan creating their own Twitter account too? Sussex Royal account that belonged to a Brighton man is now inactive - 24 hours after the couple launched their Instagram account
- Meghan and Harry's new Instagram account breaks a world record by racking up 1 MILLION followers in under six hours - and a day later it already boasts 2.6M fans
It’s not just Meghan and Harry. I’d like us all to escape this dire royal circus have 423 words, post on www.theguardian.com at January 14, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.