Boris Johnson hailed a ‘very good day for Northern Ireland’ today after holding talks with Stormont’s newly-appointed leaders – amid claims the government will pump £2billion into the return of devolution. The PM praised politicians for ‘stepping up to the plate’ after he met DUP First Minister Arlene Foster and her Sinn Fein deputy Michelle O’Neill. Mr Johnson said they had discussed ‘funding’ and Westminster would be ‘supportive’, but it was ‘not just about money’. ‘This is a very good day for Northern Ireland and the people of Northern Ireland,’ he told a press call in Belfast. ‘This is a chance for the government and executive of Northern Ireland to deliver for the people of Northern Ireland.’ Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has also been at Stormont as he and Mr Johnson marked the resurrection of the institutions after a bitter three-year standoff. However, the PM is facing a backlash from Tory MPs who are angry that the deal to restore powersharing includes launching a probe to address ‘legacy’ issues involving former soldiers during the Troubles. Boris Johnson praised politicians for ‘stepping up to the plate’ as he visited Stormont today Boris Johnson (left) and Northern ireland Secretary Julian Smith (right)… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson warned that the Good Friday Agreement that brought peace to Northern Ireland is 'at risk' from Brexit trade rules that have left supermarket shelves EMPTY of fruit and vegetables - as PM claims shortages are just 'teething problems'
- Britain faces becoming a global pariah: Countries around the world consider tougher restrictions on UK after Boris Johnson announced British strain of coronavirus could be more deadly
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson blames Chinese for coronavirus pandemic telling world leaders it was triggered by 'demented' people who 'grind up the scales of a pangolin' in bid to become more 'potent'
- UK and EU reach deal on Northern Ireland as Government DROPS controversial law breaking Withdrawal Agreement in key step towards a final Brexit deal - but PM warns he WON'T cave in on sovereignty
- Boris Johnson will hold No10 press conference at 5pm today as up to 70 furious Tories demand 'road map' for lifting lockdown from March - amid fears he is ready to keep Covid restrictions in place until the SUMMER
- It's le Snub! Tory Brexiteers slam EU's 'contemptuous treatment' of Britain after Macron and Merkel REFUSE Boris Johnson's request for a trade talks phone call as PM warns No Deal now 'very, very likely'
- Confusion over Boris Johnson's tentative three-stage lockdown exit plan to get Britain back to normal within three months as PM says millions MUST return to work today and can exercise as much as they like - but people STILL cannot see their relatives
- Airlines 'urgently' need government help to survive prolonged travel curbs, industry bosses warn, after Boris Johnson closed all air corridors
- Nicola Sturgeon brands Boris Johnson a COWARD as she threatens to hold fresh Scots independence referendum WITHOUT his permission - and SNP MPs boast they are 'focused on undermining the union' despite coronavirus crisis
- ‘Is Joe Biden woke?... erm’: Awkward moment Boris Johnson squirms as he is asked about the new US President's very right on credentials
'It's a very good day for Northern Ireland': Boris Johnson hails return of Stormont powersharing on visit to Belfast amid claims the UK government will pump another £2billion into province have 522 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 13, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.