An airline passenger who caused a bomb scare on his own flight because he was running late and feared he would miss it has been jailed for 16 months. Rashidul Islam was sentenced at Lewes Crown Court after pleading guilty to communicating false information. He was also banned from Gatwick Airport. The 32-year-old called police 45 minutes before his easyJet flight to Marrakesh from Gatwick was due to take off after his train was cancelled and his taxi became stuck in traffic on May 4 last year. His hoax call caused the flight to be evacuated and all 147 passengers having to be rechecked by security, costing the airline an estimated £30,000. A Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) spokesman said: “Islam anonymously called police 45 minutes before his easyJet booking from Gatwick was due to take off, warning: ‘Someone may have a bomb on the plane, you need to delay the flight’. “The hoaxer made two further threats in the following minutes – causing crew on the 5.40pm flight to Marrakesh to be evacuated and all 147 passengers to be checked again by security. “Luggage also had to be removed and re-screened, resulting in a three-hour delay at Britain’s second busiest… Read full this story
- Call of Duty: Mobile to launch tomorrow, here’s how to play it on PC or laptop
- Flight MH370: 17 conspiracy theories 100 days on from plane's disappearance
- Family-of-four find themselves on Virgin Atlantic's sold-out 'Pride Flight' complete with drag queens, singalongs and PLENTY of glitter - and they have the time of their lives
- War-era bomb found in Quang Ninh
- Call The Midwife star Miriam Margolyes reveals she worked as porn star Sexy Sonia
- White House releases rough transcript of Trump's first Ukraine call
- Lawyers in Delhi District Courts Call off 13-Day Strike Following Clashes with Police, to Resume Work Tomorrow
- Terrified passengers run down the aisle and duck for cover as a bat flies around the plane cabin DURING Spirit Airlines flight to Newark
- US bomb threats: Critics blame Trump's toxic rhetoric
- North Korea H-Bomb Threat: Who Could Be a 'Possible Mediator' in This Crisis?
Gatwick passenger running late called called in bomb threat to hold easyJet flight have 341 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at January 17, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.