Top story: death toll in China hits 26, as infections rise to 830 Good morning and welcome to today’s briefing with me, Alison Rourke. China has shut down transport in 10 cities, confining at least 20 million people as it struggles to control the outbreak of the coronavirus. As the death toll rose to 26, with 830 people infected, footage emerged online of quarantine measures being taken to control the virus, including barriers being erected in the city of Wuhan where officials are racing to build a new 1,000-bed hospital. Patients have reported being turned away from overflowing medical centres and there have also been reports of hospitals running out of diagnostic testing kits. In Britain, 14 people have been tested for the virus, with five cleared, but nine are still waiting for their results. Public Health England has not given a breakdown of where the people were tested but Downing Street said four of the suspected cases in Scotland were believed to be Chinese nationals. Another patient is understood to have been tested at Belfast’s Royal Victoria hospital. While the spread of the virus is dominating international news, the story is being downplayed by Chinese state media. Friday’s front… Read full this story
- China suspends flights from Bali to China due to volcanic ash
- Rescue crews wrestle to tame China oil tanker fire; body of mariner found
- China says Iranian oil tanker wreck located
- In China, rental bikes have become a social menace
- China absence looms over Canada meeting on how to pressure North Korea
- China urges US, North Korea to hold talks 'sooner than later'
- China to explore possibility of more countries participating in CPEC: China FM
- US military puts China and Russia at heart of strategy: Mattis
- China to bar people with bad 'social credit' from planes, trains
- 15 suspended in BA strike probe
Friday briefing: China suspends transport for 20m people have 302 words, post on www.theguardian.com at January 24, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.