Experts say cervical cancer could be eliminated in England through a combination of the vaccine and NHS screening, which will now test every woman for HPV, the virus that causes most cases of the disease. NHS England’s experts say there is potential to end the disease, which kills 850 women a year in the UK. The vaccine given to girls from the age of 12 is known to be very effective against HPV infection. From the beginning of December, routine screening has been reoriented to test primarily for the virus. Only women who have HPV will have their smear sample checked for abnormal cells that are the precursor of cervical cancer. Prof Peter Johnson, the national clinical director for cancer, said: “Screening is one of the most effective ways of protecting against cervical cancer and there is no doubt this new way of testing will save lives,. It is vitally important that all eligible people attend for their screening appointments, to keep themselves safe. “Combined with the success of the HPV vaccine for both boys and girls, we hope that cervical cancer can be eliminated altogether by the NHS in England. The chances of surviving cancer are at a record… Read full this story
- Zantac is STILL on the shelves in the US despite worldwide recalls over cancer fears - but experts say there are better options for heartburn sufferers
- Slides remain missing for up to 30 cervical cancer patients
- Scientists find 'cure' for cervical cancer in mice
- UK has strong message about space sector strength, expert says
- Coronation Street SPOILER: First look at Katie McGlynn's heartbreaking final scenes as Sinead loses her cervical cancer battle while Daniel seeks comfort in the arms of Bethany
- Cervical Cancer
- Therapies and Diagnostics for Cervical Cancer Market 2016: Global Industry Review, Research, Statist
- ARE YOU ARMED AGAINST CERVICAL CANCER ?
- Cervical Cancer Vaccine is 100% Effective, But Eradication Is Still Far Off
- Cervical Cancer Diagnostics market - Global Industry Perspective, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecas
Cervical cancer could be eliminated in England, experts say have 326 words, post on www.theguardian.com at January 20, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.