Boris Johnson has said the UK has “crossed the Brexit finish line” after Parliament passed legislation implementing the withdrawal deal.The EU Bill, which paves the way for the country to leave the bloc on 31 January, is now awaiting royal assent.The PM said the UK could now “move forwards as one” and put “years of rancour and division behind it”.The EU’s top officials are expected to sign the agreement in the coming days, while MEPs will vote on it next week.The European Parliament will meet on 29 January to debate the agreement, which sets out the terms of the UK’s “divorce” settlement with the EU, the rights of EU nationals resident in the UK and British expats on the continent and arrangements for Northern Ireland.Its ratification is expected to prove a formality.The UK will officially leave the 27-member bloc at 11.00 GMT on 31 January – more than three and a half years after the country voted for Brexit in a referendum in June 2016. What is the Withdrawal Agreement Bill? Devolution politicians reject PM’s Brexit bill Government loses first votes since election From 1 February, the UK will enter into an 11-month transition period in which it will continue… Read full this story
- Do the deal, Frosty! How Boris Johnson gleefully ordered Brexit negotiator David Frost to sign Christmas Eve agreement with the EU - delivering a gift to the nation, reports ANDREW PIERCE
- 'We've taken back control': Boris Johnson hails historic 'Canada-style' trade deal with the EU saying the UK is master of its own 'destiny' again as propaganda war rages with No10 claiming victory - but Ursula von der Leyen says Brussels was 'strong'
- 'The war is over': Nigel Farage says he would vote for Brexit deal 'in principle' if he was an MP as UK signs historic trade agreement with the EU
- Get ready for blast off Britain: Boris's Brexit deal is set to help boost the economy by 6.1% next year and add to post-Covid boom - as PM promises tougher border controls and urges all MPs to back him in 30 December crunch vote
- Hardline Brexiteers trawl Brexit deal for 'land mines' as full 1,255-page document is published and Boris Johnson asks them for their vote after Michael Gove says Britain will have a 'special relationship' with EU
- Boris Johnson survives committee interrogation and it's clear which MPs he doesn't respect
- Getting into the festive spirit! European lorry drivers crack out the booze as they face Christmas stuck in Dover - after one resourceful trucker managed to cook a delicious Mediterranean breakfast at the roadside
- German ambassador gets stranded in mayhem while on mercy mission to lorry drivers trapped at Manston airfield - as Sikh charity that fed 4,000 truckers in makeshift camp appeals for food parcels
- Monday briefing: PM in crisis mode as travel ban bites
Brexit: UK has 'crossed Brexit finish line', says Boris Johnson have 464 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at January 22, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.