Anthony Joshua gives middle finger to Tyson Fury fans
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The completion of a two-fight deal between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury is reportedly close, according to Eddie Hearn. The Matchroom chief has been at the heart of negotiations ever since the summer when the two heavyweights agreed on initial financial terms ahead of a potential super-fight.
An announcement is believed to be edging closer with all parties in agreement that this fight is there to be made.
AJ successfully navigated his potential banana skin with Kubrat Pulev earlier this month, when he stopped the IBF challenger with a ninth-round knockout.
Fury refused to attend the fight but did confirm after watching the contest from his Morecambe home that he’s ready to make it happen next.
Now Hearn has revealed talks have progressed well over the past week and there is optimism that an agreement is imminent.
Eddie Hearn has confirmed Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury is now close (Image: GETTY)
He told SirusXM: “We’re close. Backwards and forwards with contracts at the moment.
“Things have been progressing really well over the last week. I really believe you will see that fight May/June, everyone’s working well in the right direction.”
Speaking during his guest appearance on the Jonathan Ross Show, the Gypsy King reaffirmed his belief that Joshua attempted to swerve questions on the undisputed fight immediately after beating Pulev.
He said: "Next year, the fight has to happen. He's come over his final hurdle last week against Pulev. And now we're both free to make this fight. I'm willing to do the fight.
"He was asked the question, 'Do you want to fight Tyson Fury?' very plain and simple, and he never answered the question.
“It was a simple yes or no answer wasn't it? Then they said, 'Do you think you're the best heavyweight in the world? and he went [holds hands up]. Didn't answer the question. Ask me, do you want to fight Anthony Joshua? Yes.”
Ross then asked Fury who is the best current heavyweight on the planet, to which he replied: "Me, by a mile. There we go, that's how you answer the question."
AJ has since indirectly responded to Fury and claims he is adopting a “less talk, more action” approach ahead of their highly-anticipated dust-up in 2021.
He told iFL TV in an interview at Finchley ABC: “I’m chilled, it’s only a fight. It’s not a big deal, it’s a 12-round fight.
“I’ve done rounds upon rounds of sparring. I’ve been in the ring with Fury, this ring here.
Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury are set to clash in 2021 (Image: GETTY)
“We talk about the performance [against Pulev], we probably want to talk about those uppercuts right?
“Fury knows about them uppercuts! He said it on the BBC interview years ago. I respect him for his honesty.
“Sparring is sparring, you don’t gain nothing but it’s nice to share a ring with someone I’m fighting.
“It’s funny how he mentioned the uppercut years back, you can see throughout my career it’s brought many successes my way.
“I just look forward to competing with him, no splits, hold ups, let’s just get it rolling.”
- Anthony Joshua answers Tyson Fury's claim he is still the No1 at heavyweight
- Boxing Is Going To Get Deontay Wilder-Anthony Joshua If It Has To Fix The Entire Heavyweight Division
- Anthony Joshua comes out swinging as successive ho-hum wins fuel his knockers
- How much Jarrell Miller will lose if Anthony Joshua fight is cancelled
- Eddie Hearn reveals surprising reason fans are staying away from Joshua-Povetkin
- How Tyson Fury fought back from the brink of suicide to achieve redemption in LA
- ESPN Is Stuck With Tyson Fury As Its Hero
- Tyson Fury 'agrees terms' for next fight in USA in September
- Rematch between Fury and Wilder must happen after WBC make statement
- Manny Pacquiao provides update on Floyd Mayweather rematch
- John Skipper, ESPN’s former president, is back ... at a rival sports media company.
- An Actually Useful And Not At All Tedious Guide To Pitching Deadspin
- Verified Expert Lawyer: Adam Zagaris
- Edited Transcript of WRE earnings conference call or presentation 25-Oct-19 3:00pm GMT
- Everything coming to Netflix in October 2019
- The man with the toughest job in the world
- A beginner’s guide to the Spike Lee Joints
- How Facebook is changing employee bonuses to focus on social progress
Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury deal 'close' as Eddie Hearn issues two-fight contract update have 867 words, post on www.express.co.uk at January 1, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.