Anthony Joshua has reiterated his calls for Deontay Wilder to fight him in the UK rather than in his native US.
Joshua wants a shot at Wilder’s WBC heavyweight belt in order to become the first undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis in 1999.
The 30-year-old Brit last month won his rematch against Andy Ruiz Jr to recapture the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO belts.
Now Joshua is keen to unify the division – but he’ll have to wait until after Wilder’s own rematch against Tyson Fury for the WBC belt on February 22, which comes after their last fight in December 2018 was scored a draw.
If Wilder wins next month’s fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Joshua wants the America to come to Britain to fight him.
Joshua told IFL TV: “80,000 people or an arena that can hold 15,000 elsewhere?
“It makes sense to have it here [in the UK].”
Joshua added: “That’s probably what’s holding it up, we want it here.
“Obviously there’s broadcasters, but we have to look at what makes sense for the division.
“Sometimes you’ve got to go across the pond to make it work.”
Joshua is already facing the possibility of having to vacate one of his belts after he was ordered to agree world title defences against Kubrat Pulev AND Oleksandr Usyk.
Bulgarian ace Pulev is the IBF’s mandatory challenger, while Usyk is the WBO’s next contender following his move up from cruiserweight.
Meanwhile, Eddie Hearn has warned Fury and Joshua against sparring together – but admits he can’t stop it from happening.
Joshua last month offered to fly to Fury’s Las Vegas training camp to spar his fellow Brit as the Gypsy king prepares to fight Wilder.
Fury accepted the offer as he plots to take the WBC belt from his American rival.
But Hearn – who has already promised there will be an all-British super fight between Fury and Joshua at some point – says it’s a bad idea.
After The Bell: Watch Mirror Fighting’s new boxing show
Mirror Fighting has launched a new weekly boxing show in association with Betfair in which we analyse the latest big fights, play matchmaker, and preview forthcoming bouts.
Former super-middleweight world champion George Groves provides expert analysis.
To watch the latest show in full, click here.
Speaking to IFL TV , Hearn said of his fighter Joshua: “I wouldn’t be surprised if he went out there.
“It’s a bit weird because he might fight the winner. Josh is his own boss, if he fancies it, he’ll just go.”
- Anthony Joshua 'would accept 50-50 split' to fight Deontay Wilder or Tyson Fury
- Anthony Joshua poses with Little Mix’s Jade Thirlwall and model Daisy Lowe as he hosts dinner at plush London restaurant
- Deontay Wilder stops Luis Ortiz to retain WBC heavyweight title and eyes Anthony Joshua fight
- Watch Tyson Fury Facetime Anthony Joshua at local pub ‘just to say hello’ as AJ asks ‘when we fighting?’
- Tyson Fury a winner in Wilder fight despite contested draw
- Tyson Fury knockdown video: Watch astonishing moment Gypsy King rises after being dropped by Deontay Wilder in 12th round
- Hearn wants Anthony Joshua-Tyson Fury all-British showdown this year
- Trump invites Britain's 'Gypsy King' Tyson Fury to the White House after admitting to staying up late to watch him hand Deontay Wilder his first ever defeat to be crowned heavyweight champion of the world in Vegas thriller
- Deontay Wilder says he’s ready to fight Anthony Joshua next in UK
- Who won Wilder vs Ortiz? Fight result from massive heavyweight title bout in New York
- Joshua vs Parker: What time is fight on TONIGHT, what TV channel and live stream is it on, and who is on the undercard?
- Wilder vs Fury 2: Tyson Fury brilliantly stops Deontay Wilder in seven-round masterclass in Las Vegas
- Calls for instant Tyson Fury v Anthony Joshua heavyweight unification fight
- Tyson Fury's stunning win over Deontay Wilder cements his place as world's best
- 11pm Boxing news LIVE: Fury vs Wilder 2 PPV price REVEALED, Wilder broke hand during first fight, Ruiz Jr snubbed Whyte
- Fury vs Wilder build-up LIVE: Latest from Las Vegas, both weigh in STONE heavier for rematch
- Tyson Fury: How boxer fought back from addiction and depression to win world title
- All hail the King: Tyson Fury’s perfected every detail on banner night
- Tyson Fury’s wife Paris tells of horror after husband got into Ferrari and told her ‘I’m not coming back’ while suicidal
Anthony Joshua calls on Deontay Wilder to fight him in the UK have 746 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at January 1, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.