SHOCKING scenes unfolded at Bloomfield Road yesterday as rival Blackpool and Fleetwood fans fought on the pitch.
The League One clash between the two Lancashire clubs was disrupted when a home spectator ran on to goad the away followers.
The Blackpool fan quickly jogged off the pitch – but a Fleetwood supporter, refusing to be outdone by their hated rivals, swiftly followed suit by charging onto the pitch, sparking the melee.
Despite the best efforts of numerous stewards, the pitch invader managed to get away from them.
Instead, two opposition fans took it upon themselves to stop him by coming out of the stands and punching him in the head repeatedly.
As the three scrapped on the edge of the pitch, stewards finally managed to pull them apart.
But it then sparked more ugly scenes as a large group of fans piled down to the barriers in the south-east corner of Bloomfield Road and had to be restrained by police and stewards.
The drama unfolded after Blackpool made it 3-0 midway through the second half as Armand Gnanduillet headed home, adding to Liam Feeney and Sullay Kaikai’s goals.
Conor McAleny pulled one back ten minutes from time for the Fishermen but Joey Barton’s side slumped to defeat.
Despite going into the game level on 29 points, it leaves his team ninth while Blackpool moved up to fourth in the League One table as both clubs continue to aim for promotion come the end of the season.
Tangerines boss Simon Grayson said: “It was what you expected from a game where two teams are close together, both geographically and in the league table.
“You know there’s going to be a bit of drama, quality displays and good goals and I think we were worthy winners.
“Like I said before the game, it was getting the three points that mattered. We’re pleased with today’s performance and results and we now move on to what is a big month for us.”
Yesterday’s fight was not the first time fans from the Fylde coast neighbours have clashed at Blackpool’s home this year.
Latest EFL news
Oxford’s Forde rushed to hospital in oxygen mask after horror collision
Forest Green vs Scunthorpe SUSPENDED after alleged racist incident
Macclesfield squad asked to accept pay cheques will be late for rest of season
Macclesfield vs Crewe called OFF by players as they strike over unpaid wages
Macclesfield owe Sol Campbell £180k as England hero calls for club to be wound up
MACC AND P’S
Macclesfield players threaten to boycott Crewe tie in strike over unpaid wages
Maldon and Tiptree’s scaffolders and teachers primed for second FA Cup scalp
In the same EFL fixture last season – in April – Nathan Delfouneso’s 94th-minute winner sparked chaotic scenes.
Again, home fans sprinted over to taunt the travelling Fleetwood faithful and again, the stewards and police had to stop a mass brawl breaking out.
Outside the ground following the match, a police horse died after he was speared in the stomach by a metal pole.
- Chelsea Vs. Arsenal TV Channel, Live Stream, Time: Where to Watch the Premier League clash Today
- Kansas Democrats watch with glee as Republicans Colyer, Kobach fight over election
- Flame-throwing Michael Kopech energizes Sox fans in major-league debut
- Flamethrowing Michael Kopech energizes Sox fans in major-league debut
- What to watch for in MLB today: Mets-Phils in Little League game; Urena starts
- Fulham team news for Premier League clash with Tottenham Hotspur
- SEE IT: Giants fans fight in stands after one fan throws up on another — WARNING GRAPHIC LANGUAGE
- Watch Lonzo Ball walk away from a fight
- Watch Butch Hobson give away third base in minor-league dustup
- Watch an 11-year-old Meghan Markle fight against sexist TV ad (and win)