Employers in Britain have “hit the pause button” on job hiring, according to a survey of the labour market that shows demand for new workers has tumbled to a seven-year low. ManpowerGroup said years of strong jobs growth had ended in 2019 as Brexit uncertainty and a slowdown in global trade took their toll on business confidence. The recruitment firm’s survey of 2,101 employers found the outlook for the first quarter of 2020 was weak with hiring intentions by firms in London at a 10-year low. A balance of companies, when asked whether they intended to hire additional workers or reduce the size of their workforce in the coming quarter, registered +2%, the lowest figure since 2012. London, which has among the largest number of employers and usually offsets poor figures from the UK’s regions, was among the worst affected after hiring intentions dropped five percentage points from the fourth quarter to -1 for the first three months of 2020. However, the east Midlands, described by the survey as a “bastion of positivity for many years”, fared even worse: employer hiring confidence fell 15 percentage points to -2%, its lowest level in more than a decade. Wales dropped to -1%,… Read full this story
- The number of for-sale homes has fallen to a seven-year low
- 'There is nothing mentally wrong with me': Mother-of-five who breastfeeds her SEVEN-year-old son slams vile bullies who call her a 'paedophile' and say it's 'child abuse'
- My Chemical Romance play its first concert in seven years
- My Chemical Romance announces 18-date North American tour after seven-year hiatus with occult-themed video
- India's 2020 gold demand to rebound from 3-year low: WGC
- SK hynix profit hits 7-year low on chip slump
- Thai currency hits seven-month low over coronavirus outbreak
- UK weather forecast – Fog to clear for New Year’s Eve fireworks but party-goers need to wrap up as mercury plummets
- Eurozone crisis as it happened: EU car sales hit 20-year low in May
- Unemployment nears a 50-year low under President Trump
UK employers 'pause' job hiring as demand falls to seven-year low have 327 words, post on www.theguardian.com at December 10, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.