BORIS Johnson is backing Britain’s bid to bring football home in the 2030 World Cup. The Prime Minister promises to “put our Government machine at the heart” of the ambitious move to host the tournament. If we are selected it would be the first time since England won the World Cup in 1966. Writing in The Sun today Mr Johnson, pictured left playing in an England legends game, pledges £550million to overhaul football pitches. The money would go on building 2,000 new astro-turf pitches and fixing 20,000 current grass ones. It is the biggest injection of cash ever made into the sport at grassroots level.The plan aims to help Britain’s bid to host the 2030 World Cup. ‘UNITE IN CELEBRATION ‘ Mr Johnson writes: “It’s time for football to come home and that’s why, if elected, I’ll put our Government machine at the heart of a UK and Ireland 2030 World Cup bid. “Above all, I want it to unite us in celebration like the 2012 Olympics did when I was London’s Mayor. “I want it to show our national confidence as we get Brexit done: a sign to the world that whilst we’re a small country, we’re a great… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson warns England may pull out of FIFA World Cup over Sergei Skripal 'poisoning'
- Prime Minister and Taoiseach in Stormont bid to break powersharing deadlock
- Boris Johnson says Britain won’t ‘stand in the way’ of EU army in bid to win over Brussels in Brexit talks
- England 2030 World Cup bid dealt a blow with Fifa boss Gianni Infantino ready to support joint South America effort
- Boris Johnson and Theresa May lock horns over Syria as Prime Minister refuses to back BoJo’s airstrike pledge
- I’m A Celeb’s Stanley Johnson asks if son Boris is still Prime Minister on Good Morning Britain
- I’m A Celebrity star Stanley Johnson asks if son Boris is still Prime Minister on Good Morning Britain
- Boris Johnson backs Theresa May to get a ‘great deal’ for Brexit (but the PM pointedly stays away from his big speech)
- After a turbulent 12 months for Theresa May as Prime Minister, we look back on her first (and possibly last) anniversary
- Boris Johnson insists Britain CAN claim back £350m a week from the EU for the NHS in fiery Sun debate
Prime Minister Boris Johnson is backing Britain’s bid to bring football home in the 2030 World Cup have 391 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at December 7, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.